cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pbrown
Level 3

Major Upgrade with Basic MSI

I'm having a terrible time trying to get a major upgrade to work. This is what I have.

The existing app was build with Repackager and tweaked in IS2008. It works well but didn't need upgrade capabilities.

PsychConsult Providor.msi file
Version 5.5.3.109
Package Code {B7F751A6-3D41-4AB4-A498-8A364CB42D9C}
Product Code {02B4CB9F-1010-4F48-85FD-B036EC3A1061}
Upgrade Code {BFD824B7-7317-4FE3-86FA-ECC39CFADD9B}

The new version was also build with Repackager and I am working in IS2008 Pro to make the upgrade work.

PsychConsult Providor.msi file
Version 5.6.2.36
Package Code {1B84DC41-6C03-40FD-AB84-812EEF67BE2D}
Product Code {31EA3A5B-8186-45CE-9EB6-80C460C56C11}
Upgrade Code {BFD824B7-7317-4FE3-86FA-ECC39CFADD9B}

Note that the MSI file name and the upgrade code are the same. The package and product code and unique.

Here is the output from the MSI log on the older version:

Property(S): ProductName = PsychConsult Provider
Property(S): ProductVersion = 5.5.3.109

This is part of the MSI log file from the new version when running the upgrade:
[SIZE="1"]
Property(S): ProductName = PsychConsult Provider
Property(S): ProductVersion = 5.6.2.36
Property(S): PROGMSG_IIS_CREATEAPPPOOL = Creating application pool %s
Property(S): PROGMSG_IIS_CREATEAPPPOOLS = Creating application Pools...
Property(S): PROGMSG_IIS_CREATEVROOT = Creating IIS virtual directory %s
Property(S): PROGMSG_IIS_CREATEVROOTS = Creating IIS virtual directories...
Property(S): PROGMSG_IIS_CREATEWEBSERVICEEXTENSION = Creating web service extension
Property(S): PROGMSG_IIS_CREATEWEBSERVICEEXTENSIONS = Creating web service extensions...
Property(S): PROGMSG_IIS_EXTRACT = Extracting information for IIS virtual directories...
Property(S): PROGMSG_IIS_EXTRACTDONE = Extracted information for IIS virtual directories...
Property(S): PROGMSG_IIS_EXTRACTDONEz = Extracted information for IIS virtual directories...
Property(S): PROGMSG_IIS_EXTRACTzDONE = Extracted information for IIS virtual directories...
Property(S): PROGMSG_IIS_REMOVEAPPPOOL = Removing application pool
Property(S): PROGMSG_IIS_REMOVEAPPPOOLS = Removing application pools...
Property(S): PROGMSG_IIS_REMOVESITE = Removing web site at port %d
Property(S): PROGMSG_IIS_REMOVEVROOT = Removing IIS virtual directory %s
Property(S): PROGMSG_IIS_REMOVEVROOTS = Removing IIS virtual directories...
Property(S): PROGMSG_IIS_REMOVEWEBSERVICEEXTENSION = Removing web service extension
Property(S): PROGMSG_IIS_REMOVEWEBSERVICEEXTENSIONS = Removing web service extensions...
Property(S): PROGMSG_IIS_ROLLBACKAPPPOOLS = Rolling back application pools...
Property(S): PROGMSG_IIS_ROLLBACKVROOTS = Rolling back virtual directory and web site changes...
Property(S): PROGMSG_IIS_ROLLBACKWEBSERVICEEXTENSIONS = Rolling back web service extensions...
Property(S): ProgressType0 = install
Property(S): ProgressType1 = Installing
Property(S): ProgressType2 = installed
Property(S): ProgressType3 = installs
Property(S): RebootYesNo = Yes
Property(S): ReinstallModeText = omus
Property(S): IS_PREVENT_DOWNGRADE_EXIT = A newer version of this application is already installed on this computer. If you wish to install this version, please uninstall the newer version first. Click OK to exit the wizard.
Property(S): SecureCustomProperties = ISFOUNDNEWERPRODUCTVERSION;USERNAME;COMPANYNAME;ISX_SERIALNUM;SUPPORTDIR
Property(S): ALLUSERS = 1
Property(S): MsiLogging = voicewarmupx
Property(S): RepackagingMode = Snapshot
Property(S): System16Folder = C:\WINDOWS\system\
Property(S): MsiNTProductType = 1
Property(S): ServicePackLevelMinor = 0
Property(S): ServicePackLevel = 2
Property(S): WindowsBuild = 2600
Property(S): VersionMsi = 3.01
Property(S): VersionDatabase = 200
Property(S): CLIENTPROCESSID = 5540
Property(S): CLIENTUILEVEL = 2
Property(S): COMPANYNAME =
Property(S): USERNAME =
Property(S): CURRENTDIRECTORY = C:\WINDOWS
Property(S): PackagecodeChanging = 1
Property(S): ProductState = -1
Property(S): PackageCode = {50261BB7-0F68-4004-BC0E-77E91589A785}
MSI (s) (C8:F0) [13:32:50:462]: Note: 1: 1708
MSI (s) (C8:F0) [13:32:50:462]: Product: PsychConsult Provider -- Installation operation failed.[/SIZE]

How do I make this work?

--Patrick
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
nikhilgupta
Level 5

What is the version number range that you have included for the major upgrade? You can see this from upgrade table and see values of Ver Min and Ver Max.
0 Kudos
pbrown
Level 3

nikhilgupta wrote:
What is the version number range that you have included for the major upgrade? You can see this from upgrade table and see values of Ver Min and Ver Max.

Min Version is blank and max version is set to ***ALL_VERSIONS***.
0 Kudos
Happy_Days
Level 7

Can you attach the full log file here, and if possible the new installshield project file?
0 Kudos
pbrown
Level 3

Here are the log files.

the 553 file of the software I'm upgrading FROM.

The 562 file if the new package.

The ZIP file contains the ISM file.

Thanks,

Patrick
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Best I can tell, your Upgrade table is defined all wrong. It looks like it's detecting the previous release as both the one to be upgraded and the one blocking it as a newer product.

Try creating a fresh Basic MSI project and note how the ISPreventDowngrade upgrade rule is defined out of the box and compare it to your project. Also define a rule to handle the major upgrade.
0 Kudos
pbrown
Level 3

I have is working now thanks to phone support.

In upgrades, I changes ISPreventDowngrade > Common Tab to "Within a specific range of versions:" and set the version to 5.6.236. The advanced tab says "Detect Only = Yes".

I then created a new major upgrade item (rule?) called ISRemoveOld. The basic tab is set to "Any earlier version".

I can post the ISM file if anyone wants to see it.

Thanks,

Patrick
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

No, your ISM would only look just like I described.

BTW, I've looked your project over and I see a few things....

You didn't properly filter your repackaging snapshot. I really doubt you need any of the [CommonFilesFolder] components.

Some of the folders have names that hint to me that documents and logs will be written to them. This is likely to be a permissions problem on locked down machines such as Vista with UAC.

The ShortCutsComponent is writing registry data to HKCU. What's the thinking here? This would seem to cause a perhaps undesirable repair situation for each user profile.

You have registry data in HKLM\Software\Microsoft (ASP.NET and Crypto) which I suspect should have been filtered.
0 Kudos
pbrown
Level 3

Christopher wrote:
BTW, I've looked your project over and I see a few things....

Thanks. I apreciate that.

Christopher wrote:
You didn't properly filter your repackaging snapshot. I really doubt you need any of the [CommonFilesFolder] components.

You're right. I just removed them.

Christopher wrote:
Some of the folders have names that hint to me that documents and logs will be written to them. This is likely to be a permissions problem on locked down machines such as Vista with UAC.

I'm not sure what I can do about that. We run all XP Pro SP2 so it shouldn't be an issue. Tell me the folders are you thinking about and I can ask the software developers.

Christopher wrote:
The ShortCutsComponent is writing registry data to HKCU. What's the thinking here? This would seem to cause a perhaps undesirable repair situation for each user profile.

I'm not sure what you mean. I want the install to place shortcuts in the All User area. I have to specify the ALLUSERS=1 switch on the command line to get that to work. Is there another method?

Edit: I see it now. What should I do about that?

Christopher wrote:

You have registry data in HKLM\Software\Microsoft (ASP.NET and Crypto) which I suspect should have been filtered.

I have removed those. Thanks.

--Patrick
0 Kudos