cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
learningasigo
Level 2

Major Upgrade question

IS 2008, Basic MSI project with some Installscript custom actions, installing on XP SP2. Installed the first version of the product. Modified the installer, added components, etc. Changed the version from 1.00.0000 to 2.00.0000, changed the product code (did not change the upgrade code). Used the upgrades view to add a major upgrade. Left the "products having another upgrade code" selected because it already contains the upgrade code for my product. Selected "any earlier version" (see atached images). Also attached an image of the upgrade table (not sure why there is a record with an upgrade code of "000". Anyway, when I run this it does not tell me that an upgrade will be taking place....why? Am I supposed to put in a custom action looking to see if the ISACTIONPROP1 property has been set, and then put up a message myself?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Darain
Level 6

If you look at your 'Add or Remove Programs' list, you would see two entries of your app listed. Changing the Product Code alone will let Windows Installer think it is a new product.

You need to change the Package Code in the Summary Information table (just above the Product Properties where you change the Procduct Code) additionally to initiate a real major ungrade.
0 Kudos
learningasigo
Level 2

Doesn't the package code get created new everytime that there is a build?

What about that "000" record in the upgrade table?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

For showing the user a note that a major upgrade will take place, please see this recent DevLetter tip (PDF warning): http://www.acresso.com/webdocuments/PDF/nl_article_DEV_MajorUpgradeUI.pdf.
0 Kudos