cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Major Upgrade not uninstalling old version

Hello All

I have put a major upgrade on a package and it installs no problem and uninstalls no problem by itself....How ever when I install this upgrade over the old MSI it install ok...The problem is during uninstallation it does not remove the old product but it remove the shortcut etc...If I remove the old msi manually it removes it completely....Am I missing a setting somewhere in my upgrade package?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Happy_Days
Level 7

What all changes you made in the new package when creating the major upgrade?
0 Kudos
Not applicable

i made a custom action to change a value in an xml file based on the current pc name
0 Kudos
Happy_Days
Level 7

Sorry i didnt put my question well...i mean to ask, did you change the product guid and product version when creating the major upgrade?

If thats all right, can you open the Upgrade Table in the new MSI and see the value of "ActionProperty". Check the value of this property in the log file and make sure it has the product code of last version MSI.
0 Kudos
omidkrad
Level 4

I have a similar problem. It will install side by side but does not uninstall the old product. I have changed the product code and increased the version number from 1.00.0000 to 1.00.5000. Both setups have the same Upgrade Code. I've also created a Major Upgrade item with these settings:
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

It looks like you're trying to find newer versions (per the detect property), but having ***ALL VERSIONS*** in the Max version means you detect only older versions. Try moving it to the Min version, and clearing out the Max version, if detecting newer versions is what you want.

If instead you want to detect and uninstall older versions, just set Detect Only to No (and perhaps change the detect property name so it's less misleading).
0 Kudos
packagechief
Level 5

Here is my example (Upgrading Quicktime 7.0 to 7.5) of a working major update procedure which i can use
as a template for any application and it works fine, I have also to make shure (in my case only) that the language flag shoud be ignored
(1033 per default which means english) or the update will also fail

(see Screenshot attached)

You have to make shure as MichaelU says, that you have to set Min and Max Version to any or otherwise Windows Installer can't detect old versions correctly and therefore no remove of the old app will be made

of course the upgrade code is the original Package Code of the old version (quicktime7.0.msi in my case) which you
will uninstall
0 Kudos