cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Major Upgrade issue - baffeled...

Okay I have a strange issue coming up that I can not seem to solve and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions I can try.

We have version 1.0 of our product close to releasing and we are working on our version 1.5 of the same product.

What I did was copy the install and updated it to build in the new files and updated the version number. Since this one is a major upgrade I authored a major upgrade in the Upgrades table so that it would perform a major upgrade over all earlier versions.

I then installed version 1.0 on my machine and ran my 1.5 installled. I watches as all the files/folders/icons from the previous version were correctly uninstalled. It this proceeded to install the new files on to the machine. It all seemed to be okay, but then I noticed a bunch of files/folders were missing.

I then launched IE and automatically I get the version 1.5 install launching in repair mode. All the files/folder were then repaired and everything was installed correctly.

What I would like to figure out is why the files/folder were not installed, but were known by the install enough to perform a repair to re-install those files.

What is causing this and what can I do so that a proper major upgrade work and all files correctly installed?

Thanks for any help....
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Weiman
Level 4

Did you change the product code in the new project?
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Yes I changed the product code a few times and still same files/folder will not install.

Now I have to try another thing, but the original version 1.0 was created in IS 2008 and version 1.5 was updated and built with 1.5. I do not think that this should affect it, but I'll see if I simply update the 1.0 to 1.5, leaving it in IS 2008, and update the product code and test to see if that will perform the major upgrade completly then that will at least eliminate that possiblity.

Is there anything else that may cause this?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Okay I think I have this figure out. It seems that the key file version numbers of these components that are failing to install are actually higher than what is being installed.

So the install checks the version numbers of these key files and then marks the files as not to be installed, even though this is a major upgrade. So then the install uninstalls that previous version and installs the new version, skipping all the files that it marked as not to be installed. Once done then only a repair will put the files back onto the system.

I can fix most of these file versions, but some of just place holder files that only contains a version number that is not correct. Is there an easy way I could delete these files before the install does a install validations so that it does not record the file version? where in the custom actions can I place this so that it can delete the file before checking it's file version?
0 Kudos