cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superfreak3
Level 11

MSIs differ by 50MB - How can I find why...

Hi all,

I have a template that contains two releases. The basic difference is shortcuts, two binary images for dialogs, and a registry entry.

When I compile the releases, the one package is 50MB larger than the other.

I checked the directories/files of each after install and all looks to be the same.

It seems something is taking up space in the package itself, but not translated or installed on the target machine.

Is there a way I can find the difference.

There were some component changes in each for two install packages that get installed on the machine. The difference in those is that they are branded for two separate companies. The file sizes of the included packages are relatively the same (they each are built with two releases, one for each company) so the difference isn't coming form there.

I ran the MSI Diff tool and the only thing I noticed that is possibly peculiar comes from the MSIFileHash table. For one of the installation package components mentioned above I see a record was added and another record was deleted. I would expect that based on the different installer components filtered out at build time by release flags.

However, for the other installer, I only see an add record and no delete record. Is it possible something isn't cleared properly in there?

I would like to find and eliminate the cause of the size difference if only for peace of mind.

Any help/tips appreciated!

Thanks!~
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
PlinyElder
Level 7

Do you have one release compressed and one not compressed? Also there are two different compression methods you can use so they differ as well in final size.
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

PlinyElder wrote:
Do you have one release compressed and one not compressed? Also there are two different compression methods you can use so they differ as well in final size.

Ah, the compression methods were different!!! Thank you so much for the piece of mind!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos