cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andreweihe
Level 2

MSBuild Error "No outputs for project..."

Hello,
I get the following error message when compiling an InstallShield LE project with the Team Build Server (Windows Server 2008 R2 64 Bit):
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\InstallShield\2010Limited\InstallShield.targets (89): No outputs for project "BackendAdapter" were provided, but the installation project references "BackendAdapter.Primary output".

When compiling this on my developer machine with Visual Studio 2010 Premium, everything works.

I already read, that there is the same problem when the namespace includes dots. But in my situation, there are no dots.
Is there a solution for this problem?

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi Andreweihe,

Could you kindly let us know what type of project is the BackendAdapter.

Does the solution include the BackendAdapter project and the ISLE project?

Could you kindly let us know how you are building the project .Is it by Right clicking in Visual Studio 2010 and clicking Queue New Build.

Kindly provide us the full TFS build log and a sample project with 2-3 project files which replicates this behavior so that we can investigate further.

Thanks,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
asanford
Level 4

I have the exact same problem with ISLE 2011. It happens for a asp.net web project.

No outputs for project "[snip!]" were provided, but the installation project references "[snip!].Content Files".
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\InstallShield\2011Limited\InstallShield.targets (96): No outputs for project "[snip!]" were provided, but the installation project references "[snip!].Primary output".

The build works fine with VS, but with either a local msbuild build, or with a remote TFS build, you see the probem.

I was able to fix the problem after reading this post:
http://community.flexerasoftware.com/archive/index.php?t-191551.html

basically, in my .isproj file, a project reference name was being truncated; for example, the final 'b' was missing here:

[Snip!].We

instead of

[Snip!].Web

Manually editing the file fixed this problem.

It seems this problem was reported in 2009. It still seems to exist in 2011! Is there an ETA for this fix?
0 Kudos
Madusree
Level 7

Hi,

I am glad you found fix to the Issue.

Regarding the Issue you are encountering ,I am currently looking into this Issue.

I should have further updates soon.

Thanks,
Madusree
0 Kudos
Madusree
Level 7

Hello,

This is a known issue and our Engineering Team are currently working on this Issue IOA-000061457 raised for 2011

Thanks,
Madusree
0 Kudos