cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
table01
Level 4

MS Office apps invoke my MSI

I've recently had several users report that, after installing our product, when they try to run Microsooft Word (sometimes other Office apps), they get an error that the msi for our app cannot be found. Our msi is usually cached here:
C:\Documents and Settings\userid\Local Settings\Application Data\Downloaded Installations

The problem occurs when our msi can't be found or accessed in that folder. There've ben several reasons for this and I've been able to work with users to work-around the problem.

My real question is:
"Why are MS Office apps looking for the msi for my app?"

Our iinstallation is Basic MSI and distributed as a "setup.exe". Has anyone else seen this and what's the best way to avoid this?

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

The cached .msi may be accessed when Windows Installer thinks something needs to be repaired. Maybe the Office application and your application share a redistributable? To troubleshoot this, you would want to have one of your end users check the Event Viewer in Administrative Tools. The MsiInstaller entries there would probably indicate the component that Windows Installer is trying to repair. Once you know that, you can try to figure out why the issue is occurring.
0 Kudos
HenryL
Level 5

0 Kudos
table01
Level 4

Thank you DebbieL and HenryL.

The information and the link have proved very useful!
0 Kudos