cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sairen
Level 7

Looking for DIM Editor

Sorry for what I hope is kind of a dumb question.

I'm trying to find the DIM Editor so I can preview it and get some info for our tech writing team, who is very interested.

I went to the Product Download & Licensing page, and copied the web download shortcut for the DIM Editor. When I go to run it, though, it asks me if I want to repair or remove my InstallShield 2012 (full version) that I have already installed.

I have a few related questions:

1) Where and how do I go about getting the DIM Editor for IS 2012?
2) Is the DIM Editor a standalone application? Is it a plug-in to Visual Studio? Is it embedded in my full InstallShield IDE somehow?
a) Does the answer to the above depend on whether you have the full InstallShield IDE?

Thanks to whomever can help clear up my confusion here...
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

If you already have InstallShield 2012 on your machine, you cannot also install the DIM Editor. If you have the premier edition on your machine, you can create a new DIM Project right there to test things out. The DIM Editor functions identically to a copy of InstallShield Premier with only the DIM Project type.

This implies answers to your other questions: the new DIM Editor functions both as a standalone IDE and as a Visual Studio plugin, just like InstallShield; you already found where to get the DIM Editor installation for new machines; and for machines with the full IDE installed you cannot also install the DIM Editor separately.
0 Kudos
Sairen
Level 7

Thanks, Michael. That perfectly answers my questions.
0 Kudos