cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vigorvick
Level 4

Logging query- how does msi engine determine the path of msi

Hi,

I want to know how the path of the msi is determined by the msi engine. Example, in the below log

MSI (s) (68:B0) [05:33:32:156]: ******* RunEngine:
******* Product: W:\7.0.55.0 from 163\Install Software\License Manager\ContactCenterLicensemanager.msi
******* Action:

I'm invoking the msi using another exe, but it fails to install because the path is different in the log file. it is searching for the msi in some other location other than W:\7.0.55.0 from 163\Install Software\License Manager\.

Does anyone know why this happens?

Thanks,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The MSI file location on a first time install is determined based on the /i parameter passed to msiexec.exe (or the filename/path passed to the MsiInstallProduct API). For example, if the following command line is used to launch the MSI:
msiexec.exe /I "W:\7.0.55.0 from 163\Install Software\License Manager\ContactCenterLicensemanager.msi"

The location Windows Installer uses would be W:\7.0.55.0 from 163\Install Software\License Manager\ (again, this applies to first-time installs).

For maintenance installations, Windows Installer determines the MSI package to run from based on undocumented source list configuration data stored in the registry.
0 Kudos