cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Weiman
Level 4

1155: instmsi30.exe not found

The attached project fails with "1155: ...\instmsi30.exe not found" when the installation is run on a clean XP SP2 machine.

It seems that the installer tries to install the MSI engine even though
1. MSI 4.5 has already been installed by a prerequisite
2. I have specified "no MSI engine included" for the setup launcher

regards,
Johannes
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

If this reproduces when running your setup with the command line parameter /debuglog, could you post the InstallShield.log that this creates?
0 Kudos
Weiman
Level 4

Here you go
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Okay, reading that log, I can tell you a few things. MSI 4.5 appears to be installed, but wants a reboot. On Windows XP it is updated in place, but the setup.exe process cannot tell this. Thus when it goes to decide whether to install MSI 3.1, it looks like it needs to install it (presumably this machine only had MSI 2.0 installed).

However it looks like the MSI 3.x redists are not in your setup media, but setup.exe still expects them to be. Can you verify that the MSI 3.x support in the release grid or release wizard is turned off? Another thing you can try, but shouldn't need to resort to, is changing the prerequisite behavior to reboot immediately. If you do this, I suggest copying the .prq file we provided and editing the copy so other projects aren't affected.
0 Kudos
Weiman
Level 4

MichaelU wrote:
However it looks like the MSI 3.x redists are not in your setup media, but setup.exe still expects them to be. Can you verify that the MSI 3.x support in the release grid or release wizard is turned off?

I've set "Setup Launcher" to "no MSI engine included" if that's what you mean.
Interestingly though, the problem disappears if I change "MSI Engine Version" from 3.1 to 3.0 (by temporarily changing Setup Launcher to include MSI).
See images below, the left setting works and the right causes the error. So the disabled entry effects the end result which is not what you'd expect.
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

MichaelU wrote:
Okay, reading that log, I can tell you a few things. MSI 4.5 appears to be installed, but wants a reboot. On Windows XP it is updated in place, but the setup.exe process cannot tell this. Thus when it goes to decide whether to install MSI 3.1, it looks like it needs to install it (presumably this machine only had MSI 2.0 installed).

However it looks like the MSI 3.x redists are not in your setup media, but setup.exe still expects them to be. Can you verify that the MSI 3.x support in the release grid or release wizard is turned off? Another thing you can try, but shouldn't need to resort to, is changing the prerequisite behavior to reboot immediately. If you do this, I suggest copying the .prq file we provided and editing the copy so other projects aren't affected.

I´ve configured my release build to 'Do not install Windows Installer' since I use MSI 4.5 as a prerequisite. Looking at the InstallShield.log I found this line:
MSI 3.1 to be installed, was not installed with redist package
MSI 4.5 appears to be installed and updated in place on Windows XP (but needs a reboot). I do not have any trouble that any MSI redist files cannot be found.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Everyone,

It looks like there is a problem here, this problem occurs if you set "Windows Installer 3.1", but don't include any Windows Installer redists (other than prereqs), and the system does not have 3.1 already installed.

The problem still occurs even if you include the Windows Installer 4.5 prerequisite, due to the fact that when Windows Installer 4.5 is installed it is usually locked, in this case the OS updates the locked file, however existing processes still keep using the original version, thus Setup.exe does not detect that Windows Installer 4.5 is installed.

This problem is now being tracked as IOC-000073194.

There are two workarounds to this problem:

Set the "MSI Engine Version" option to a lower version such as "2.0" thus the setup will always find an appropriate version on the system. (Note: In this case you should use an Error custom action to verify that the appropriate version of the engine is being used by the setup.)

In the Windows Installer 4.5 case, you can update the prereq to force a reboot after installing the Windows Installer 4.5 engine, this will prevent the setup from continuing until the machine is rebooted and the Windows Installer 4.5 engine is completely installed.

Devin Ellingson
Software Developer
Acresso Software
0 Kudos