cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulSm
Level 2

Logging Uninstall when run from Add or Remove Programs

I'm trying diagnose an uninstall issue. I can get logging to work if I run from cmd line, but adding /l*v "c:\IS.log" to the end of the UninstallString in the registry doesn't create a log file when I uninstall through Control Panel.

Am I missing something?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Right, Windows Installer normally doesn't use the UninstallString value for a Basic MSI project. Depending on your MSI version, maybe see if using the MsiLogging property will help? Or run:

msiexec /x {your-prod-uct-code} /L*v everything.log

from a command prompt or batch file?
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

You can also apply a registry setting to enable logging globally. Checkout:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300
0 Kudos
PaulSm
Level 2

The KB article looks like what I need. I have run the uninstall from the command line, but I needed to see what was happening when running the uninstall through Control Panel (possible different behavior).

I was wondering about the uninstall string because after the install completed it had "msiexec.exe /I{Product GUID}" which should be doing an install not an uninstall. So the UninstallString is just a waste of Registry space, or is there just for backwards compatiblity(?).

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

The uninstall string only applies to non MSI installs and is for backwards compatibility in AddRemove Programs. MSI installs understand their ProductCode and do their own thing regardless of what you put in the uninstall string.
0 Kudos