cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Locked-Down permissions Question

I have an install basic msi package that seems to a permissions issue with some of our testers when installing on Win 7.

During the install they change the default install folder from "C:\Program Files\Company\Product Name" to just "C:\product name".

When they do this they will get the error stating they do not have write permissions to "C:\product name".

By the way they are running the install from the .msi running in an administrator command window and therefore this should work should it not?

What would be causing this permissions error and what would I have to set to avoid this issue.

I noticed that by default the Locked-Down Permissions setting is set to Traditional Windows Installer handling. Is this what could be causing the issue?

By the way all my installs have this setting as Traditional Windows Installer handling even though it states the Custom InstallShield handling should be default. Is this correct and if so why are mine all defaulting to Traditional?

Should it be Custom InstallShield and if so would that help with this permission issue we are having?

Thanks,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Lurean
Level 8

it sounds like you are running up against a policy setting. If the computers are on a Domain or network with Windows security policies in effect the person setting the policies can make it so nobody except a Domain admin can create folders on the root drive.

If they don't want it in program files and they still want it accesible to all users they could install it to the public folder on the Win7 machines.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

About this:
By the way all my installs have this setting as Traditional Windows Installer handling even though it states the Custom InstallShield handling should be default. Is this correct and if so why are mine all defaulting to Traditional?

The InstallShield 2010 upgrade KB article (Q200330) contains this bit of information:

Changes to Support for Securing Permissions for Files, Folders, and Registry Keys
The General Information view has a new Locked-Down Permissions setting that lets you specify whether you want to use the new custom InstallShield handling or the traditional Windows Installer handling for all new permissions that you set for files, folders, and registry keys in your project.... In all new projects, the default value for this setting is the custom InstallShield handling option. If you upgrade a project from InstallShield 2009 or earlier to InstallShield 2010, the traditional Windows Installer handling option is the default value of this setting.

The Windows Installer option is left as the default value in upgraded projects just in case you needed that behavior or you were somehow relying on it. You can easily switch to the new custom style once you've upgraded your project to InstallShield 2010.
0 Kudos