cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CadwellDev
Level 3

Launching Applications Durring Install?

I'm working on a fairly large and complex system that seems to be installing incorrectly. One of the secondary programs in the system attempts to boot up before the installation completes.

Is there any reason why one of a secondary system would attempt to boot before the installation is complete?

Our secondary program would always boot up and then do nothing about halfway through the installation process. The main problem is that the installation freezes once the secondary program is active.. it doesn't make any sense, the process is running, and the installation just sits there and does nothing with the status bar at 100%.

Firstly, I don't think that any part of the program should be booting up durring the installation, as far as I understand it seems that there shouldn't be any initialization before the install is over.. For even more strangeness, this progam launching prematurely in the system, Normally this secondary program would be launched after the main program runs, which it does not. I watch the process tree and nothing comes up except the secondary system...

So I removed the secondary program from the .ism solution just to see if it would at least get past the installation window and it gave me this error message.

Here is the Error
"Error 1001.Exception occured while initializing the installation:
System.IO.FileLoadException: Attem to load an unverified executable with fixups (IAT with more than 2 sections or a TLS section.) (Exception from HRESU..." I think it overloaded the messageBox limit..

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm an intern which got tasked with building an install for a huge software system I've never worked with before and this is driving me up a wall!

Thanks, Josh
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Error 1001 tends to come from InstallUtilLib, which is used when the .NET Installer Class option is set to Yes on a component, so this may be something to look for. I don't know whether this is actually causing the symptoms you saw earlier, as it runs (custom) code in the executable or dll that this component installs.
0 Kudos
CadwellDev
Level 3

MichaelU wrote:
Error 1001 tends to come from InstallUtilLib, which is used when the .NET Installer Class option is set to Yes on a component, so this may be something to look for. I don't know whether this is actually causing the symptoms you saw earlier, as it runs (custom) code in the executable or dll that this component installs.

Thanks for responding!
I'm not very knowledgable about most .NET utilities, but would I be correct in assuming that the Error 1001 is coming from our project's code as it interfaces with InstallUtilLib?
If true I suppose the best action would be to look at all the .NET Installer Classes set as "Yes" and start narrowing down from there? The purpose of this project is to interlace a lot of messy C++ code into C# uses and clean up a fairly old system, which could be causing the problem.

PS: Sorry for posting my issue all over your forums, but I posted this one before I checked the msi Loggings(which weren't all that helpfull) but if you could check them out, they're in this thread: http://community.acresso.com/showthread.php?t=189453
I also posted pretty much the same issue that you just answered here in another new thread this morning because I didn't think this one would be answered, feel free to delete that one when you check approvals.

Thanks, Josh
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Yeah, I'd figure out which components have this set, figure out which of those do or do not actually correspond to real Installer Classes, and, if they all do and/or the problem doesn't go away when you turn off the ones that don't, look into your project's code behind them. Unfortunately the error messages from installer classes are among the most opaque you'll see - there are several completely different scenarios all covered by the same number error, just with a different message
0 Kudos