cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrSchmidt
Level 4

Launch setup.exe, installed from MSI file after MSI installation completes

Dear community.

I need to be able to launch a setup.exe, which is installed from a MSI file.

To sum up the problem:

I have an MSI-file (created as a Basic-MSI project in InstallShield 2013), containing a setup.exe which deploys on the users computer. I need to launch this setup.exe after the MSI is done installing. It needs to happen automatically, and there is no UI avaliable (Either it is silent or with basic-UI) so binding an action to the Finish Button of the SetupCompleteSuccess dialogue is not an option.

My guess is that this is somewhat possible with the use of a custom action, placed after the InstallFinalize-step in the exec-sequence. However, I have not succeded in getting this to work. I have, however managed to start NotePad, but not the setup.exe I am deploying myself. I can manually start the setup.exe after it has been deployed, so I know it works - I just can't get the installer to start it without any problems.
Starting it before the InstallFinalize step, is unfortunately not an option either, since it will fail, due to multiple installation processes running.

There are many more elegant ways to design this, than wrapping a setup.exe in a MSI, but unfortunately a Single MSI file containing the setup.exe is a hard requirement, so alternative solutions is unfortunately not an option.

I have tried many things, but I have not gotten anything to work, so any help is much much appreciated.

Best regards and thanks in advance

C
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
rakumar
Level 3

Hi,
Go to Project Assistant tab and select Installation Interview panel.
Select Yes for “Do you want to give users the option to launch your application when the installation completes?” and provide your .exe location.
Now when you install your application it would show a check box saying ‘Launch’ on installation success dialog. Select the checkbox and click on Finish. Your exe would launch.

Regards,
Rajesh Kumar
0 Kudos
ChrSchmidt
Level 4

rakumar wrote:
Hi,
Go to Project Assistant tab and select Installation Interview panel.
Select Yes for “Do you want to give users the option to launch your application when the installation completes?” and provide your .exe location.
Now when you install your application it would show a check box saying ‘Launch’ on installation success dialog. Select the checkbox and click on Finish. Your exe would launch.

Regards,
Rajesh Kumar

Hi Rajesh. Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately I do not have the luxury of a Finish-dialogue, since I am running in either Silent (/qs) or Basic-UI (/qb). What you suggest would work, but It is not an option which I can use, unfortunately.

If it is possible to emmulate this behaviour automatically without using the UI-sequence, then I would like to hear how.

Best regards.
0 Kudos