Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mista_speckta
Level 3

JRE_HOME Environmental Variable Not Set for Tomcat

Hey guys,

Tomcat: ver. 6.0.18
Java: open jdk->jre6b16

I'm trying to install a tomcat windows service using "service.bat install" which needs JRE_HOME. I currently have a custom action to run that command line during the "After Scheduled Reboot" Install Exec Sequence. I have set the JRE_HOME in the Environmental Variables menu:

JRE_HOME:
Value = C:\path\to\openjdk\jre
On Install = Create
Placement = Replace
On Uninstall = Remove
Type = System

When the custom action is executed, the JRE_HOME does not seem to be set...

C:\tomcat\bin>service.bat install
Installing the service 'Tomcat6' ...
Using CATALINA_HOME: C:\tomcat
Using CATALINA_BASE: C:\tomcat
Using JAVA_HOME:
Using JRE_HOME:
Using JVM: auto
The service 'Tomcat6' has been installed.

The service is installed, but when I try to start the service, it fails. After the installer finishes, if I manually reinstall the service, I notice this:

C:\tomcat\bin>service.bat remove Tomcat6
The service 'Tomcat6' has been removed

C:\tomcat\bin>service.bat install
Installing the service 'Tomcat6' ...
Using CATALINA_HOME: C:\tomcat
Using CATALINA_BASE: C:\tomcat
Using JAVA_HOME:
Using JRE_HOME: C:\pathto\java\openjdk\jre6b16
Using JVM: C:\pathto\java\openjdk\jre6b16\bin\server\jvm.dll

The service 'Tomcat6' has been installed.

The JRE_HOME is set, and everything works fine at this point.

I added a custom script to execute before the tomcat custom action and verify the existence of a JRE_HOME and create one if one does not exist, but again, until the installation finishes, and I reinstall the tomcat service does it recognize the JRE_HOME. Can anyone help me?

-S
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
mista_speckta
Level 3

Has anyone been able to use environmental variables that they've set in an IS installer during an installation? It seems like any environmental variable set by the installer are only available after the installer finishes...

-S
0 Kudos
Ed_Norris
Level 2

I couldn't get it to work either, so I just spent some time with VBScript and simplified what service.bat does, using property values instead of environment variables.

I know it's not an answer to your question, but it is a workaround that definitely works. And you can avoid stepping on existing instances of tomcat.

Ed
0 Kudos