cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryman821
Level 2

Issue with updating installer executable

Hi everyone,

I have a windows application installer that I build occasionally with any small changes that are made to my original source code. For some reason, I will build my installer, however the executable never gets updated (timestamp stays the same). I have a deploy directory where I put the build executable from Visual Studio, and that is linked into my InstallShield project. Really my only changes to the installer project are the version numbers for releases and updates, and a change to the product code. I'm not doing anything different from other times where I have tried building and the end result was successful. I also notice that my version number never get's changed to the right one under the file properties if I right click on the executable. It just says 16.0.0.0. Does anyone have an idea as to what I'm doing wrong?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

The following help topic explains where to find the settings for configuring the properties of the Setup.exe file:
Customizing File Properties for the Setup Launcher

I think that most of that was introduced in InstallShield 2011, so you may not be able to customize the version number if you are building in InstallShield 2010.
0 Kudos
ryman821
Level 2

So interestingly enough, I tried building again and today it worked (meaning it updated my installer launcher) The version did show up correctly, and the timestamp for the installer launcher was also new.

I guess the problem wasn't really about the versioning, as much as it was about why InstallShield decides to update my installer build half of the time and not the other half. I'm nervous that I'm going to attempt another build in a few weeks, and InstallShield will just randomly decide to not give me a new installer. Or is there sometimes a problem with InstallShield updating the timestamp that I see next to my installer in the Windows Explorer, because that's what I'm using as my reference point to see whether or not its been updated. Maybe it is a new installer just with an old timestamp?
0 Kudos