cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moinkhan
Level 5

Issue with XML import

Hi,
I am using Basic MSI project, my config file has different sections, I like to import complete web.config file and write down on the target system with updated values, the config file is design as follows:

The issue is no matter what I do, it always create "ChangePasswordSettings" section first and then "ConfigSection" which cause error in application. Is there anyway I forcefully define which section to create first in XML editor?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
-Moin
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
moinkhan
Level 5

anyone who has XML expertise can give me some idea of how to resolve such issue? the configsection should be created first, but in IS2008 creating in middle, causing XML to fail.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

As the "Creating an XML File Reference" help topic states:
The XML File Changes view is not designed to list a node for every node in an XML file. To improve performance, the XML File Changes view should show only the settings that differ from the base XML file:

• If the XML file that you are modifying is part of your installation, the XML File Changes view should list only the nodes and node sets that should be added, changed, or deleted after the XML file is installed at run time.
  • If the XML file that you are modifying is a file that is already present on the target system, the XML File Changes view should list only the nodes and node sets that need to be added, changed, or deleted at run time.

Therefore, when you are importing a file, import only the nodes in the XML file that you want to modify at run time.

Note that the XML File Changes view does not enable you to specify the order in which new elements should be listed in the XML file. Therefore, importing only the nodes that you want to modify at run time helps to avoid issues that may occur if your product requires that the elements be listed in a particular order.

Is it possible for you to add the XML file to your project through the Files and Folders view, and then in the XML File Changes view, could you import only the nodes that you want to edit on the target machine after the file is installed?

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
moinkhan
Level 5

DebbieL wrote:
As the "Creating an XML File Reference" help topic states:

Is it possible for you to add the XML file to your project through the Files and Folders view, and then in the XML File Changes view, could you import only the nodes that you want to edit on the target machine after the file is installed?

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation

Yes, that was my initial design to do that, but after I migrate my project from IS12 to IS2008, i am getting the error as I mentioned in my previous post http://community.macrovision.com/showthread.php?t=174235 somehow before updating the config file IS2008 change its attribute to RHSAO and then give an error that unable to update the config file.

-Moin Khan
0 Kudos