cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrew_player
Level 3

Is it possible to make Installer download .NET Framework?

I have upgraded from Visual Studio 2010 to Visual Studio 2013. VS 2013 doesn't include the MS Setup types anymore.
Ok. Installshield is better in most ways.
However, the VS 2010 Setup allowed the option to make the Windows Installer detect and download the .NET Framework.

Is there any way to do this with Installshield Limited Edition?

If not, what other option are available? I do not want to include the .NET Framework with the installer because it adds a huge size increase to the installer download.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
jcoone
Level 6

you could include the Web Download version of the redistributable, this should be significantly smaller than the full .Net Framework and will download the framework separately during installation.
0 Kudos
andrew_player
Level 3

jcoone wrote:
you could include the Web Download version of the redistributable, this should be significantly smaller than the full .Net Framework and will download the framework separately during installation.

This is a good idea. Thanks!
I guess I'll have to put it in a script though in order to keep the download from happening unless the .NET framework isn't there already.
0 Kudos
jcoone
Level 6

The Redistributable includes should not fire if they are already installed, so you shouldn't need to put it in a script it should already be handled.
0 Kudos
andrew_player
Level 3

jcoone wrote:
The Redistributable includes should not fire if they are already installed, so you shouldn't need to put it in a script it should already be handled.

Right you are! It works great. Thank you!

BTW, it turns out that InstallShield LE does have a section called "Redistributables" that has checkboxes for most items that would be needed, including the .NET Framework.
I just didn't see that at first. Once checked the one I wanted, it prompted me to download it. It then downloaded it into it's own folders for the LE app and also downloaded some other associated files.
I don't know if it will be intelligent enough to check to see if it has the latest version of these files before building a Setup application.
0 Kudos