cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grantmi
Level 3

Installshield DevOps Build Task Parameters

Jump to solution

We are trying to use the Installshield Build task in our Azure DevOps pipeline.

We would like to set the version and also specify a new ProductCode (or get Installshield to auto generate one) as part of the build.

I was hoping this may be possible by specifying some Parameters in the Parameters field in the build task.

Is this possible?

Is there any documentation on what parameters can be specified and how they must be specified.

e.g. some examples of specifying parameters other than '-v' (which I don't even know what that does.)

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution
grantmi
Level 3

I think I found the answer... It looks like the InstallShield Build task is calling ISCmdBuild.exe.

So I think you can use the parameters as described here.

Since I don't think Installshield can automatically create a new ProductCode for you as part of the build (like Wix can), I abandoned using the Installshield Build task idea. (We need to change the ProductCode because we always do a Major upgrade)

Instead I used an PowerShell Build task (Inline), which uses the InstallShield automation object to generate the GUID for the ProductCode and then builds the release. I have attached the script you need to paste into the PowerShell task. 

Note: In the Installshield Project, we have a PathVariable, SourceDir, which is set relative to the installshield project path. e.g. SourceDir=<ISProjectFolder>\..

All the components in the Project use SourceDir in the path to the file, so we don't need to pass in any path (apart from the project file) when doing the build.

Hope this helps others who are struggling to build InstallShield project in DevOps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(1) Reply
grantmi
Level 3

I think I found the answer... It looks like the InstallShield Build task is calling ISCmdBuild.exe.

So I think you can use the parameters as described here.

Since I don't think Installshield can automatically create a new ProductCode for you as part of the build (like Wix can), I abandoned using the Installshield Build task idea. (We need to change the ProductCode because we always do a Major upgrade)

Instead I used an PowerShell Build task (Inline), which uses the InstallShield automation object to generate the GUID for the ProductCode and then builds the release. I have attached the script you need to paste into the PowerShell task. 

Note: In the Installshield Project, we have a PathVariable, SourceDir, which is set relative to the installshield project path. e.g. SourceDir=<ISProjectFolder>\..

All the components in the Project use SourceDir in the path to the file, so we don't need to pass in any path (apart from the project file) when doing the build.

Hope this helps others who are struggling to build InstallShield project in DevOps.

0 Kudos