Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyamstrad
Level 6

Installshield Cross Train to ??

Hi guys

Not sure if this is the correct forum.

Im an experience Installshield Developer (since 2000) with software development experience in VB but this is slowly becoming obselete. In the current economic climate Im finding it difficult to find any new Installshield development work (Europe), there seems to be alot in the USA.

Im considering looking at cross training. Any suggestions for something that might be transferable? I know it seems like a strange or very generic question. Considered Software Implementation e.g. WebSphere or something like that or perhaps Application Packaging??

Any thoughts, perhaps some of you guys have had the same troubles??
Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Personally I haven't had any concerns at all over the last couple of years. Most developers I work with don't seem to realize what a good niche this actually is and they don't want to touch it with a ten foot pole.

As for cross training, the most directly related specialities are build automation and IT sysadmin infrastructure type stuff.

I don't know your personal situation but maybe you could get a VISA and come spend a couple years in the states.
0 Kudos
andyamstrad
Level 6

Thanks for the input.

Personally I haven't had any concerns at all over the last couple of years. Most developers I work with don't seem to realize what a good niche this actually is and they don't want to touch it with a ten foot pole.

Yes is a good niche but the work in Europe seems to be very thin on the ground. There are Application Packager roles, but the Employers dont appear to entertain Installshield Developers, different skillset.

As for cross training, the most directly related specialities are build automation and IT sysadmin infrastructure type stuff.

May look into these, although havent seen many of these either.

I don't know your personal situation but maybe you could get a VISA and come spend a couple years in the states.

Yes would like to get a VISA and spend some time in the states, not sure how difficult a VISA/GreenCard/H1B would be to obtain. Might be worth looking into this.

Thanks
0 Kudos