cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spdracer
Level 5

Install/Start Services

I am installing some services and trying to start them. The excecutable file name is different than the service name. (i.e filename service.exe, service name L-2 Data Service).
Installshield wants the name of the service but won't let me enter a name with spaces. What is the best way to solve this?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

"L-2 Data Service" sounds like a display name. Does this service have an internal name which does not include spaces?
0 Kudos
Spdracer
Level 5

"L-2 Data Service" is the service name and the display name. If I install the service from the command line "service.exe /service" the service name is "L-2 Data Service" and the display name is "L-2 Data Service". I also looked at the developers code and the service and display names are "L-2 Data Service"
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Huh, that appears to be an uncommon way to approach things (all the Microsoft-provided services appear to have short service names), but I haven't yet found any documentation that spaces are invalid; assuming they're not, it sounds like we may have a bug in our UI.

That said, it looks like the relevant fields in the ServiceInstall table are formatted, so you could try specifying [L2DataService] in the Service configuration, and set up the property L2DataService with value L-2 Data Service. (Or make it a public property L2DATASERVICE if you foresee needing to override the service name at install time.)
0 Kudos
Spdracer
Level 5

Thanks, creating a property and using that as the name for the service worked like a charm
0 Kudos