cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moutushi_mandal
Level 3

Installscripts Project

I m very new with install shield. i want to do some installscripts project but i don't know how to start. however i created some installscripts project using project assistent . plz give me some sample code of how to built a setup by write a installscript . How to add files,registry by using install script coding. plz reply me.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(11) Replies
KathyMorey
Level 10

You might want to start by looking at the InstallShield help on how to get started. You can also, I believe, purchase the InstallShield training manuals for build InstallScript projects.
0 Kudos
moutushi_mandal
Level 3

created some installscripts with the help of get started, but do not know how to write a scripts. can u give me some examples.
0 Kudos
Shuttledude
Level 7

There is an icon on the toolbar for "Insert Installscript Function". It lists all the installscript functions by type (dialogs, files and folders, registry functions, etc.), and it fills in sample code that you can then change to do what you want.

To be able to click this icon, you must have a script file open. Go to "Behavior and Logic" then "InstallScript" in the tree on the left. Click anywhere in the script. Then hold your mouse over the icons at the top of the InstallShield main window, until you see the tooltip for "Insert Installscript Function". It's the 12th icon, counting from left to right. Click it and you will see all the sample functions, which will give you some code to work with. Pick any function, click next, and code will be inserted into your setup.rul script file! You can then use Help to find out more about any function.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
moutushi_mandal
Level 3

Thanx Shuttledude for such a nice description.

i'll try this & hope it work properly
0 Kudos
moutushi_mandal
Level 3

thankx Shuttledude ...............
i use the way u mentioned earlier and got a very good rresult.

can u help me in an another problem?

i created a setup using InstallScripts and it working fine.

i want to use my company logo in the UI dialogs. But i can't find any option to do this. in bacis MSI we can change the image of the UI by editing it. but in InstallScripts nothing option like that.

can u plz give me some solution og this one?

i'm waiting for ur ans.

thank u
0 Kudos
Shuttledude
Level 7

OK, here is how to change the bitmap displayed in a dialog. You will need to do this for each one of your dialogs. Here is how to change it for the Welcome dialog; do the others in the same way.

You said you already knew how to do this for a basic msi project -- here is how to do this for an InstallScript MSI project, as well as an "InstallScript only" project.

1. Open the InstallShield Project.

2. Click the Installation Designer tab to show the main tree dialog at the far left of the screen.

3. Expand the "User Interface" node on the main tree dialog, to see "Dialogs".

4. Click on "Dialogs".

5. Pick a dialog, for example, SdWelcome. Then in the window pane on the right of the screen, click "Edit dialog layout". A new subnode will appear below SdWelcome (for example, SdWelcome / English), and you will see the dialog display onscreen.

6. Click on the large bitmap at the left of the dialog. Examine its properties in the far right window. Notice "File Name". Click in the "Value" field for File Name, and change it to the bitmap you wish to use (for example, C:\My Bitmaps\Bitmap1.bmp).

7. Compile your project. When you see the SdWelcome screen appear, you'll see your custom bitmap! Of course the size of the bitmap must match the available area on the dialog -- it will not automatically shrink or expand to fill the window size on the dialog.

Here is what my SdWelcome dialog looks like, after I have customized it:
0 Kudos
moutushi_mandal
Level 3

Hi Shuttledude

thanx for the help.

i'm going through the steps given by u and add my own custom bitmap in dalog.
but at building it gives the following error:

the Resource compiler failed to build the RES file. ".......(path)\_ISUser1033.res".
required to link the DLL.

plz help me...........
0 Kudos
Shuttledude
Level 7

I believe you can fix it by copying the bitmap to Paint (mspaint.exe at a DOS command promptm or Start / Run / mspaint), and saving it as a 24-bit bitmap (*.bmp) file.

http://community.acresso.com/archive/index.php?t-107085.html
0 Kudos
moutushi_mandal
Level 3

thankx........

my setup is working properly.

now i m trying to set a bitmap as the backgroung of the installation.
i m using PlaceBitmap function with all its parameters. but it is not working b'coz of invalid ID (i think...). wht i hav to put at the place of ID if the bitmap is added in SUPPORTDIR?

how can i do this?
0 Kudos
Shuttledude
Level 7

Hmmm ... I'm not sure about this. Maybe someone else can help you with this question.
0 Kudos
moutushi_mandal
Level 3

Hi......

i want to change the splash screen which appears before starting installation.

Now it shows the default screen with "Preparing Setup" dialog. i want to use our company logo at that splash screen wizard.

In support files/Billboard view, i added a .bmp (Setup.bmp) under splash screen.

But it is not working.

can u plz help me??
0 Kudos