cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jchristman
Level 8

Installscript automated update/build with vbscript

I have an installscript project that is all setup and works great. The only changes needed between builds is to do a files structure refresh so it gets all the new files with the latest dates and to change the product version number. Then in the release wizard I change it from setup.exe to the %product%_%version%.exe and I have it do a copy to a new location.

I would like to write a vbscript that just takes in the version/release number and will apply the new number and update the files in the build, then execute the ISBuild.exe and that version/release and build the project.

Are there any samples of this out there or could someone point me in the write direction. My projects are installscript and not MSI.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
SMadden
Level 6

Regarding updating the setup.exe name and product version via vbscript, these code snippets should work:

Set pProject = CreateObject("IswiAuto15.ISWiProject")
pProject.OpenProject szProjectName, False

' update the projects version number
pProject.ProductVersion = szNewVersion

'update Setup name
pProject.ISWiProductConfigs("YourMediaName").ISWiReleases("YourReleaseName").SingleEXEFileName = szExename

pProject.SaveProject
pProject.CloseProject

Sandra
0 Kudos
jchristman
Level 8

Thank you for the scriptlets

Thoughts or scripts that I could see how to update the file list that goes into the projects INSTALLDIR and SUPPORTDIR. In the UI I just right click on the folder and click refresh for the INSTALLDIR and I just verify the files have the updated dates on them in the SUPPORTDIR.

I would like to do this with a script, it would be nice for to be able to just loop through the directoy and have it update all the files and if there are new ones to have them added.
0 Kudos
SMadden
Level 6

for a standard component you could use a dynamic file link.

To automatically add files to the Supportdir, take a look at the InstallShield sample script LinkToFeature.vbs. I guess you can take some some snippets out of there and alter them for your needs.

You'll find the script on your system under \InstallShield\2009\Samples\WindowsInstaller\Automation Interface Files\Add Files and Components\LinkToFeature.vbs
0 Kudos
jchristman
Level 8

Thank you for help, I did not realize those where there, I will take a look.

I do use a dynamic link file to all the subfolders and files. I am worried about someone slipping in a single file or subfolder at the main level and there not be a link for it yet, so the build will miss it.
0 Kudos