cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hazosTAS
Level 3

Installscript Install Stages

I wanted to know if there was a way to break down an install into different stages. My problem is I would like to have a file that exists in my current install be installed first into the SUPPORTDIR, and I want to run that file before installing the rest of my files. Let me be a little more clear about why I want to do something like this. The file I would like to install first is a command line executable that performs specific database actions (one example, detaching a database). This should be a temporary file, and its only purpose is for support. I do not want this file to stay installed, I just want it to be written to the SUPPORTDIR or a Temporary Directory. The next set of files are SQL Server database files. The goal here is for the support executable to run and detach the databases, so the newer database files can overwrite the old database files.

I've read up a little on prerequisites, but from what I've gathered these don't seem to work for an Installscript project. I've also taken a look at merge modules but I'm not quite sure how that really works. If there was a way to break down the install into two stages from the same executable, that would be great. Let me know what I can do, again thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
hazosTAS
Level 3

Never mind i solved this problem by adding said executable as a support file. Seems to work fine.
0 Kudos