cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robert_Judge
Level 3

Installing Silently and response file errors, Invalid command line option:

Hi ,

I am trying to create a larger installation package which will install Hyperion (which uses Install shield) the easiest way to do this is to install hyperion silently. I know I have to have a response file .iss file. I am having problems creating the file when ever I try to use the -r or /r parameters I just get the following message.

The wizard cannot continue because of the following error: Invalid command line option: r is not supported(1001)(403)

Regarding attatchment
Please ignore the "help" , I still get the same message but with "r" in place of help in the message.

Any ideas how I can get a response file or run the installation silently. I am writting the wrapping setup in C# .NET.

The installation comes in a set of three files
media.inf 1kb
setupWinPlatform.exe 17724 kb
suite.jar 91104 kb
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
enanrum
Level 9

Is this a MultiPlatfrom installer?

If it is you can use an response or options file! In the options file you would set Properties by using '-P' and variables using '-V'!

So your basic response file would have at least:

-P installLocation = "your location"

If you know you have dialogs asking other info and know the variable for it you could set the variable by:

-V MYVAR = "value"

BTW: Running the installer in silent mode on windows will come right back to the prompt and basically run in the background! I would put the command in a batchfile on Windows if you want to run in silent mode, it will not come right back to the prompt!

Regards,
Tom
0 Kudos
Robert_Judge
Level 3

Firstly How do I know if its a MultiPlatfrom installer ? How can I detemine that ?

Secondly I'm trying to create the response file using the -r parameter but the installer doen't seem to accept it.

Thirdly is the options file a different file to the response file ?

Fourthly how can I find out more information regarding the installation. What version Installshield etc......

Thanks, Robert
0 Kudos
enanrum
Level 9

Judging from the name of the exe and the .jar file - I would assume it's a MP type of installation! Just not sure how to tell what version of IS MP it or if it was built with InstallAnyWhere(not familiar with that one)!

Yes, a response file is the same as an options fle! You can generate this file by recording the install when installing by running:

java -cp suite.jar run -options-record optionsFileName

or generate the template by running this command with the jar file:

java -cp suite.jar run -options-template optionsFileName

These only work with version 4.53 or higher!

Regards,
Tom
0 Kudos
Robert_Judge
Level 3

Thanks Tom,

Tht seems to have worked an I have now created the response file.
That being the case how do I run against the response file silently with as little user interaction as possible ?
Please tell me I don't have to run a java command 🙂

Robert
0 Kudos
enanrum
Level 9

Well, you can create a batch file for the user and just tell them they need to modify the options file with the correct parameters!

Just add the line:

setupWinPlatform.exe -silent -options options.txt

See if you can run the setup without the jar file, if you can't, you just need to make sure the user has the .exe and .jar in the same location!

You can just run 'setupWinPlatform.exe -silent -options options.txt' at the command line but in doing so it comes right back to the prompt and runs in the bacground. So on Windows I would recommend putting it in a batch file!

Regards,
Tom
0 Kudos