cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
svend_lysemose
Level 3

Installing SQL Server 2012 SP1 Express hangs on Windows 8.1

I can successfully install from a command line or from a prerequisiste before feature selection, but when I install from a prerequisiste after feature selection the installer hangs forever with the logging shown below.
I have zipped and attached the logs and the .prq.
Any hint on solving this problem is much appreciated.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

(01) 2014-01-22 17:00:35 Slp: Running Action: Install_SqlSupport_Cpu64_Action
(01) 2014-01-22 17:00:35 Slp: Sco: File 'd:\2307d9682b1e7a0fc57a2eed\PCUSOURCE\1033_ENU_LP\x64\setup\sqlsupport_msi\x64\SqlSupport.msi' does not exist
(01) 2014-01-22 17:00:35 Slp: Sco: Attempting to create base registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, machine
(01) 2014-01-22 17:00:35 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey
(01) 2014-01-22 17:00:35 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0
(01) 2014-01-22 17:00:35 Slp: Sco: Attempting to get registry value InstallDir
(01) 2014-01-22 17:00:35 Slp: Checkpoint: PREINSTALL_SQLSUPPORT_CPU64_ACTION
(01) 2014-01-22 17:00:35 Slp: Sco: Waiting for service 'msiserver' to accept the stop request.
(01) 2014-01-22 17:00:35 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open SC Manager
(01) 2014-01-22 17:00:35 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open service handle for service msiserver
(01) 2014-01-22 17:00:35 Slp: Invoking QueryServiceStatus Win32 API
(01) 2014-01-22 17:00:35 Slp: Sco: Attempting to close service handle for service msiserver
(01) 2014-01-22 17:00:35 Slp: Sco: Attempting to close SC Manager
(01) 2014-01-22 17:00:40 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open SC Manager
(01) 2014-01-22 17:00:40 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open service handle for service msiserver
(01) 2014-01-22 17:00:40 Slp: Invoking QueryServiceStatus Win32 API
(01) 2014-01-22 17:00:40 Slp: Sco: Attempting to close service handle for service msiserver
(01) 2014-01-22 17:00:40 Slp: Sco: Attempting to close SC Manager
(01) 2014-01-22 17:00:45 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open SC Manager
(01) 2014-01-22 17:00:45 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open service handle for service msiserver
(01) 2014-01-22 17:00:45 Slp: Invoking QueryServiceStatus Win32 API
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
svend_lysemose
Level 3

Starting from SQL Server R2 SP2, the installation process of SQL has been modified such that it requires the restart of some Windows Installer handlers. Since the setup.exe that InstallShield generates uses some Windows Installer handlers, it cannot be restarted during the middle of the installation, so a SQL installation as a feature will not be able to complete successfully.

Currently, the only workaround to this is to install SQL as a setup prerequisite rather than as a feature prerequisite. Since this issue spawned from the change in the way SQL installs, we have no control over this. This is not an issue specific to InstallShield and will occur if SQL R2 SP2 or above is installed with any bootstrapping application.

Microsoft has documented the issue here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2820068
0 Kudos
Roman1
Level 9

The same for SQL Server 2014 CTP
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

It is for this reason Svend that we are adopting the Advanced UI / Suite packaging so that we can still offer the 'UI' options to the end user and make decision points for SQL Server 2012 Express based on the end user's selections.

We just enable or disable the feature package in the suite setup. Since this is occurring outside of the 'MSI world' and each MSI package runs individually, then SQL Server does not encounter any of these problems any longer. Fortunately InstallShield has a solution available to handle this for us.
0 Kudos
svend_lysemose
Level 3

DLee65 wrote:
It is for this reason Svend that we are adopting the Advanced UI / Suite packaging so that we can still offer the 'UI' options to the end user and make decision points for SQL Server 2012 Express based on the end user's selections.

We just enable or disable the feature package in the suite setup. Since this is occurring outside of the 'MSI world' and each MSI package runs individually, then SQL Server does not encounter any of these problems any longer. Fortunately InstallShield has a solution available to handle this for us.

Thanks for the hint which I will look into.
Regards, Svend
0 Kudos
c_l_k_
Level 3

DLee65 wrote:

Hi All,

Right now I’m managing different basic MSi and InstallScript MSI project without this SQL problem because i use redistributable method.

Since 3 days, after read your post I’m trying to used Suite/Advanced UI without success! Because i want change sql setup mode.

Can you explain me how to use my existing project in Suite project? I ‘had import my packages but what next step??? I can't make build, all my test finished with an error code 😞

thank you.
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

c.l.k,

I am not sure what types of errors you encounter. What specifically is failing.

There is a little learning curve to use the Advanced UI / Suite installer type, but as long as you set your parameters correctly for installing each package it should go flawlessly.

The AdvancedUI/Suite (AUS) installer allows you to chain several packages together. Only one of these packages is going to be your main package, basically the core of your application. For this I created a basic MSI package, but your InstallScript MSI package will work as well.

AUS works on the principle that you have a single main install, this is the primary package. All other packages are simply supporting packages such as .NET Framework, Windows Installer 4.5, C++ Runtime redistributables, SQL Server Express, etc
Each package needs to define at least the following:

• Conditions for Installation, like OS requirements, other software dependencies, etc
  • Detection conditions: The method for determining if the software should be installed. For example installing SQL Server would want to detect if your Instance Name exists in the registry. If it exists then you do not need to install SQL Server Express, if it is missing then install SQL with your instance name declared.
  • Install Command line: This is the text that is required for installing the package correctly. For SQL Server Express make sure you include all the correct command line options, and make sure you specify a correct instance name. The default PRQ file defines a default name and requires us as developers to tailor it to our own use.

Hopefully this helps get you on the right path for using the AUS.
0 Kudos
c_l_k_
Level 3

DLee65 wrote:
c.l.k,

Hopefully this helps get you on the right path for using the AUS.

Dear Dlee65,

thanks for your prompt answer 🙂 i hope it will solve my problems.

best regards
0 Kudos