cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roybjj
Level 2

Installing .NET 3.5 on windows server 2012

Hi,
I am trying to figure out if it is possible to deploy .NET 3.5 on windows server 2012 on a server that is not connected to the internet.
I found how to enable the feature manually but it requires the windows installation media if you are not connected to the internet.

I also found this on the flexera site (http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=Q210041&sliceId=1) which refers to the latest InstallShield:

"You can include the new Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (Windows Feature) prerequisite in your installation if you are targeting any of the aforementioned operating systems and your product requires the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. The run-time results vary, depending on the target system's operating system:
On Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 systems, the InstallShield prerequisite attempts to turn on the .NET Framework 3.5 feature. Note that if the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 files are not installed, Windows Update attempts to download the required files. If Windows Update cannot download the files (for example, if the target system does not have an Internet connection), the installation displays an error message box, and the prerequisite fails."

seems pretty straight forward...so does this mean that there is no way to do this?

Thanks,
Roy.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DLee65
Level 13

I have not come across any way of doing this. Microsoft so far has not released the binaries for redistribution packages. So for closed systems, you have to include instructions for system administrators to deploy .NET 3.5 sp1 first. It will be up to them to figure out how to do this within the confines of their environment due to the constraints of the operating system. My guess is that they will make the media available and enable the feature by some type of policy if on a domain.
0 Kudos
wiggers
Level 7

I'm having the same issue on Windows 8.1, although I'm using IS2012 Spring. I just need .NET 3.5, no SP, but even including the prerequisite (dotnetfx35.exe) for the full installation triggers a web download. Why? Has anyone found a way around this? Many of my users are on standalone systems without internet access. The full .NET 3.5 framework appears to be there on the CD, all 200+MB, so why can't it be installed?
0 Kudos