cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spdracer
Level 5

Installing 64 bit services

I'm relatively new at InstallShield and making installer packages. However, I have been asked to create a basic MSI 64 bit installer.
I have set the template to Intel64, 64nit components to Yes, and generated new GUIDS.
The issue is, installing and controlling services. When I click on Advanced settings andInstall NT service, the only choices I have are win32. Am I missing something?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I'm not quite 100% sure here, but Win32 generally describes the API set that is shared across both x86 and x64 platforms. Win64 is not a term you'll generally see used, except by people speaking imprecisely; having used 32 in Win32 is a bit unfortunate, at least in retrospect. The values described come from the ServiceInstall table's documentation, which isn't explicit about this difference. Perhaps we should clarify things on our end, maybe even remove the reference to "Win32".

Related to this, are you targeting an Itanium system? That's what Intel64 indicates. These days it's generally more common to target x64 (AMD64, em64t, etc.) instead, and if so you'll want to specify x64 in your Template Summary instead.
0 Kudos
Spdracer
Level 5

Thank you for your reply. No, I'm not targeting Itanium so I will change that value.
0 Kudos
Marwan
Level 7

I noticed you mention "InstallNT Service" which is available in Pre IS2010 SP1 releases. If you install SP1 you will notice the new MSI5 Services support in addition to a cleaner/better looking UI.
0 Kudos
Spdracer
Level 5

Thank you. Installing SP1 now
0 Kudos