cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clue_Clueless
Level 4

Installer error on CHT XP system that is set to Japanese Region/Language

OK, this is a tricky one.

I have an installer that supports English, Chinese (Traditional), French, German and Japanese.

I ran the installer on both English XP system and a Traditional Chinese system without any problem. I wanted to try the Japanese language support but I didn't have a Japanese XP System, so I take my CHT system and set the Region and Language to Japan/Japanese from the function under Control Panel. HOWEVER, when I ran the installer, I got a "Error reading set up initialization file" right at the start up of the installer. Then the installation couldn't go on.

However, I try the same method on the English XP system and the installer ran without any problem. I saw the Japanese dialog box and everything during installation, and the installation completed successfully.

Anyone has any idea about the Error reading set up initialization file problem?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Clue_Clueless
Level 4

Anyone got any idea about what might have caused this error? any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Did you set the setting on both the Regional Options tab and the Advanced tab?
0 Kudos
Clue_Clueless
Level 4

hidenori,

Yes. Yes I did.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

I am assuming that you place your setup files under a folder which contains Chinese characters in the path. In that case, the ANSI complied version of Setup.exe bootstrapper does not work because it is trying to locate the setup files using the Japanese code page. In order to get it workaround, you need to copy the files to a path which does not contain any Chinese characters such as C:\MySetup.

Also, InstallShield 2009 provides the UNICODE compiled version of Setup.exe which does not have the issue. You may want to consider using it.

Thank you.
0 Kudos