pavanred
Level 4

Installer error -5001: 0x80070002

Details:
error code -5001: 0x80070002
Error Information:
>SetupNew\setup.ccp (1187)

PGUID:E06D01DF-5821-44F2-808F-7F340FFACA69

I verified that here were no other applications open and there were no previous setup applications running on the client PC.

I searched about this error code and I found this - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310794 . It describes -

A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error code: 0x80070002. This issue can occur if one of the following conditions is true:

* The default security provider in Windows XP has been changed.
* The system drive letter has changed.

The security provider issue has been reported with Dell computers on which the Dell Assistant software is installed.

NOTE This issue can be caused by any software that changes the default security provider. It is not limited to Dell computers or to the Dell Assistant software.

Could anyone help me with this? Is this really a hardware and a OS related issue or am I missing anything?
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
pavanred
Level 4

First thing I did was to test this on a machine with non-dell hardware - The issue was replicated on other hardware so this eliminated the chance of it being a hardware issue.

After a lot of effort I found that this error was caused because a system configuration file, 0x0409.ini was missing from my build. I included this file and error -5001: 0x80070002 didnt occur.
I didnt find much information about 0x0409.ini configuration file on the internet. The issue is resolved but I am not entirely clear how or why this file caused this error. What is 0x0409.ini file? Any inputs are appriciated.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Dave_Carpentier
Level 3

From what I can tell, the 0x0409.ini file is a text file used by various installation dialogs to display messages. One example that I have seen is when using prerequisites in your installation. If the prerequisite is not installed, then a dialog will pop up at the start of your installation. You can change the messages in these dialiogs by changing the contents of the 0x0409.ini file
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

This particular error (-5001) is a generic engine initialization error for InstallScript projects. This specific case is caused by a failure to find the language string files (such as 0x0409.ini for English) for all supported languages listed in setup.ini. These files are needed to display strings on any pre-script driven dialogs (setup initialization, prerequisite, etc.). In this case, 0x80070002 corresponds to "file not found" (these errors can typically be looked up with the Visual Studio Error Lookup utility, or by looking up the lower 4 numbers, 0x0002 in this case, on MSDN under System Error Codes).
0 Kudos
BenMAC
Level 4

joshstechnij wrote:
This particular error (-5001) is a generic engine initialization error for InstallScript projects. This specific case is caused by a failure to find the language string files (such as 0x0409.ini for English) for all supported languages listed in setup.ini. These files are needed to display strings on any pre-script driven dialogs (setup initialization, prerequisite, etc.). In this case, 0x80070002 corresponds to "file not found" (these errors can typically be looked up with the Visual Studio Error Lookup utility, or by looking up the lower 4 numbers, 0x0002 in this case, on MSDN under System Error Codes).

So what is the fix? Seems like the installer should be able to find the files. Are they part of the windows install or the IS executable that is being installed?
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

These files are all built in the DISK1 folder that contains the setup.exe launcher. If setup.exe is copied to some other location (for example, to CD or DVD media), all the files contained in the DISK1 folder need to be copied with it. If these files are not copied, it will not be possible to run the setup.

Packaged setups contain all the DISK1 files compressed into setup.exe.
0 Kudos
Emoticons
Level 2

joshstechnij wrote:
These files are all built in the DISK1 folder that contains the setup.exe launcher. If setup.exe is copied to some other location (for example, to CD or DVD media), all the files contained in the DISK1 folder need to be copied with it. If these files are not copied, it will not be possible to run the setup.

Packaged setups contain all the DISK1 files compressed into setup.exe.

Now, we know why this error occurs, but what do we against it? "You can change the messages in these dialiogs by changing the contents of the 0x0409.ini file" doesn't mean much to a user who just want to install that game.
How can i fix this problem?

Do i now really have to re-install my System?

Emoticons~
0 Kudos
teeferma
Level 2

Did this get resolved?

Emoticons wrote:
Now, we know why this error occurs, but what do we against it? "You can change the messages in these dialiogs by changing the contents of the 0x0409.ini file" doesn't mean much to a user who just want to install that game.
How can i fix this problem?

Do i now really have to re-install my System?

Emoticons~
0 Kudos