cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crystal_tsui
Level 3

Installed NT Service disappear after reboot. Please help!

Hi, I am new user of installshield2008.
My package installed a service by changing the properties of a exe file in "install NT service", "control NT service" as well as writing the values into the registry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Service>...".
It work fine during the installation, and the service appeared in the client PC.
It is also can be started and run successfully.
BUT ....
When I reboot the client PC... The service and the newly added entries in registry is gone ! But all other installed application is still working fine.
Anybody have idea ? Please help! I need the solution urgently!
Many thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I assume you have a good reason for writing directly to the CurrentControlSet and that your doing it correctly. But if not, you could be experiencing LastKnownGood:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/regentry/34106.mspx?mfr=true
0 Kudos
crystal_tsui
Level 3

Thanks for your prompt reply.
Actually, I am not sure it is a good idea to write directly to the CurrentControlSet.
We followed the steps to create the components as COM Server component type and specified that it contains an NT service, and so on.
The service not installed even the whole installation is finished successfully.
But if we write directly into CurrentControlSet, the service appear. At least the service installed and run very well before I restart the pc.
Do you mind to give me some suggestion?
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I have on occasion needed to set service attributes that MSI wan't able to express. I'd would take out your registry change and focus on getting ServiceInstall / ServiceControl working first.
0 Kudos
crystal_tsui
Level 3

Thanks for your suggestion.
I am trying to create the components as COM Server component type and specified that it contains an NT service again.
And I met problem when I try to extract COM Data for key file.
It pop up "Windows Service Start Failure"
[Cannot start service from the command line or a debugger. A Windows Service must first be installed (using installutil.exe) and then started with the ServerExplorer, Windows Services Administrative tools or the NET START command.]
Do you have any idea?
Thanks a lot.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

0 Kudos
crystal_tsui
Level 3

Thanks for your help!
Your tips are very helpful. Seems we are going to have the solution soon.
0 Kudos
crystal_tsui
Level 3

Hi. Seems we can make the service be installed successfully.
But there is another problem during start the service which is:
Error 1920. Service ...(..) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficent privileges to start system service. Then the installation be terminated.
The user account we are using is the local administrator already.
If I make it start automatically, and start it manually, it is ok.
But we would like it start immedilately. What should I do?
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

What operating system was this on? Are you using the ServiceControl events ( component | advanced ) to start the service or are you using a custom action?
0 Kudos