cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cada0310
Pilgrim

Re: Installation upgrade/maint mode issue after Installshield 2010 -> 2012

Thanks Michael. This particular installation only builds a SETUP.EXE...does that tool work with those? Or will I have to build an MSI as well to use it?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Pilgrim

It does not work with it directly. You can perform an administrative install by running setup.exe /a and get the .msi file from the directory you choose.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
cada0310
Pilgrim

So, more weirdness.

I tagged one of our dll components as "always overwrite" and even that didn't do anything. I also checked the component and made sure its component code was the same with the old installation and the new, and it is the same.

What would prevent something tagged as always overwrite not getting put down?

I compare this to something that did actually get updated on the disk, and here's what I see in the log.

Our DLL which didn't get updated (one of many):
-----------------------------------------------
MSI (s) (A8:14) [11:59:59:030]: Component: eScriptionDataConnector.v1.dll; Installed: Local; Request: Null; Action: Null

Some SQL scripts which did get updated:
---------------------------------------
MSI (s) (A8:14) [11:59:59:028]: Component: SQL_Scripts; Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Local
MSI (s) (A8:14) [11:59:59:028]: Component: __DatabaseCreation.sql_SQLComponent; Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Local
MSI (s) (A8:14) [11:59:59:028]: Component: __DefaultDataPopulation.sql_SQLComponent; Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Local
MSI (s) (A8:14) [11:59:59:028]: Component: __SchemaUpdates.sql_SQLComponent; Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Local
MSI (s) (A8:14) [11:59:59:028]: Component: __TableCreation.sql_SQLComponent; Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Local
MSI (s) (A8:14) [11:59:59:028]: Component: sqlscript.sql_SQLComponent; Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Local

All our dlls and exes have the Request and Action as "null" for some reason?

Chris
0 Kudos
cada0310
Pilgrim

Michael,

I think we've discovered the root of the problem by using the msi diff tool; when we upgraded to 2012, there was a merge module that IS2012 couldn't locate.

When I re-browsed to the merge module, it appears IS2012 removed all of the components associated with it, and re-added them. Until now, I didn't realize that I had re-browsed to a different version of the merge module.

We're building now with the right version added, and will let you know the results.

Chris
0 Kudos
cada0310
Pilgrim

Yep, that was it.

Thanks for your help, Michael, and especially the tip on the MSI diff - that'll come in handy in the future for sure.

Thanks,

Chris
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Pilgrim

Glad to hear. On your last symptom, I was going to suggest checking for SELMGR errors, indicative of an invalid minor upgrade. Minor upgrade validation can also help catch those. And a missing merge module would almost definitely cause such errors.
0 Kudos