cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mescalero
Level 7

Installation does not go into maintenance mode

Hello,

I am having a problem with my installation packages that I have upgraded to IS 2009. In situations where I expect the install to go into maintenance mode, I am instead prompted with "another version of this product is already installed..." and am instructed to first remove the previous install using Add/Remove programs.

It is my understanding that this is because the Product Code remains the same, and the Package Code has been changed. However, these both remain unchanged in my setup. What does change is the version number.

Can someone please suggest how I can suppress this prompt, and allow the install to go into maintenance mode?

Thanks very much...
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If you look in Media > Releases > product config name, the Generate Package Code setting is normally set to Yes, which generates a new package code GUID during every build, which overrides the hard-coded value in General Information > Product Properties.

As a rule, the package code should be different for any two different MSI databases, including just a version-number change. Perhaps a small update or minor upgrade is what you want?
0 Kudos
Mescalero
Level 7

Thanks, Robert. Yes, I may need to re-configure the installation packages to account for minor upgrades, but I'll need to coordinate that with documentation folks. 🙂
0 Kudos