cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BTJohn
Level 2

Installation corrupted after moving file/Component to a different feature

InstallShield 2012 Premier Version 18 SP1

I have had this happen several times now while creating installers. The sequence goes something like this.
1.) Create a “InstallScript MSI project”.
2.) Use the “Project Assistant” to create an installation with a custom “Installation Architecture”
3.) Add files/components to the individual features (one component per file).
4.) Build “Single Executable”.
5.) Spend quality time in the “Installation Designer” (custom actions, dialog mods, script mods, etc…)
6.) Realize that a component belongs in a different feature.
7.) Use the “Project Assistant/Application Files” screen, delete a file from the incorrect feature and add it to the correct one. (Neither feature is the “default” feature.)
8.) Use the “Installation Designer/Components” screen to delete the old component (since deleting it in the “Project Assistant” removed the file but not the associated component)
9.) Optionally rename the new “component1” (generated when the file was added to a different feature)
10.) Build and execute the installation package.

The “InstallShield Prepare to install” dialog (and splash screen if applicable) display and extract the .msi file then exits. The installation wizard never runs. The Windows “EventViewer” shows 2 entries from MsiInstaller:
1.) Event ID 11708 Product: -- install operation failed
2.) Event ID 1033 Windows Installer installed the product

At this point the project is ruined and cannot be restored until I delete the 2 features involved above.
Recreating the deleted features using the same names and components causes the issue to reappear.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
BTJohn
Level 2

My mistake.
It turns out that the dependency scanner inclusion of “MSDE 2000 SQL ” merge modules are causing this issue. Removing the merge modules recovers the installer
0 Kudos