cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joyce_zhong
Level 2

InstallShield doesn't support Hebrew OS system? (right-to-left orientation)

Hey guys, this is Joyce from IBM Singapore Software Lab. We're currently developing a software TAMESSO AccessAgent & its installer is built on InstallShield 2010.
Recently we developed the Hebrew OS support for our product, but InstallShield gives some undesired window layout in the installer. (BTW the text alignment is correct)
Ideally, in Hebrew system, all windows are right-to-left oriented, i.e. the window title&icon is on the upper right corner, the Minimize / close window buttons are at the upper left corner. But InstallShield still keeps the normal button location as in non Hebrew system.
More examples would be:
1. progress bar showing installation progress should run from right to left.
2. On any confirmation message, Yes/No/Cancel button should be arranged from right to left.
etc

Is that possible for InstallShield development team to bring this issue into concern & come up with some fix? It would be great as our product can be improved at the meantime.

I was about to log an incident on this, but it seems I need to get some account before that...
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
hidenori
Level 17

Those are limitations of Windows Installer dialogs. Windows Installer only exposes the attributes that enable us display the text in the dialog box in right-to-left-reading order, and align the text on the right side of the dialog box. Therefore, InstallShield mirrors the dialogs manually for the right-to-left oriented languages by changing the position of dialog controls when building a release. Unfortunatly, we have no access to such items the window title&icon on the upper right corner, and the minimize/close window buttons at the upper left corner.

You should notice that the Setup Initialization dialog which is displayed before the Install Welcome dialog is mirrored everything. That is because the dialog is a standard Windows dialog (not a Windows Installer dialog) which is managed by the Setup.exe bootstrapper that InstallShield creates.

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos