cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lynn
Level 2

InstallShield Limited Edition not showing up in Visual Studio 2012

I installed the Express evaluation version of InstallShield before I realized that I actually needed the Limited Edition. I uninstalled the Express version and installed the LE version... now, Limited Edition doesn't show up in Visual Studio 2012 Express. Also, the InstallShield menu item in the Start Menu only shows the help file, and that throws errors when I run it.

I think the Express version left something in the registry that is blocking the LE from working properly. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to clean this up? I've tried un-installing and re-installing SE but it doesn't help. I've also rebooted the PC to see if that would do it, no joy.

Thanks in advance,
Lynn
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello,

Try to clean the system registry using any registry cleaner utility to clear the obsolete entries of installshield Tool(if any remaining on the machine's registry due to previous install)

After, Cleaning the registry, install the instalshield Limited edtion for visual studio downloaded from below portal after registration.

http://learn.flexerasoftware.com/content/IS-EVAL-InstallShield-Limited-Edition-Visual-Studio

Then, you will get the activation serial key to email id, which was mentioned durig the registration for download in above portal.

Now Launch the Visual studio 2012 Express IDE.

Go to File->New->Project->Other Project Types->Setup and Deployment types->InstallShield Limited Edition Project(Need to activate it by using the serial key recieved when using it for the first time) to create a setup project.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos
lynn
Level 2

chiranjeevi wrote:
Hello,

Try to clean the system registry using any registry cleaner utility to clear the obsolete entries of installshield Tool(if any remaining on the machine's registry due to previous install)

After, Cleaning the registry, install the instalshield Limited edtion for visual studio downloaded from below portal after registration.

http://learn.flexerasoftware.com/content/IS-EVAL-InstallShield-Limited-Edition-Visual-Studio

Then, you will get the activation serial key to email id, which was mentioned durig the registration for download in above portal.

Now Launch the Visual studio 2012 Express IDE.

Go to File->New->Project->Other Project Types->Setup and Deployment types->InstallShield Limited Edition Project(Need to activate it by using the serial key recieved when using it for the first time) to create a setup project.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Chiranjeevi

I did as instructed. I have a serial number but I'm never asked to enter it after the download or during the install process. When I got to the FILE->NEW PROJECT window in Visual Studio 2012 there is no OTHER PROJECT TYPES option, just Templates for Visual Basic, Visual C# and Visual C++ in the INSTALLED group. In other words, nothing has changed.

I finally gave up and download Visual Basic 2010 and moved my code over to it. When I used its built-in Publish feature it created an installation package that was simple and just works. I guess I'm going to stay on VB2010 for a while.

Thanks for your help,
Lynn
0 Kudos