Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adam_corrow
Level 3

InstallShield LE ToolsVersion re-setting to 3.5 after manually changing to 4.0

Hello,

This is somewhat regarding this post:

http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?206022-6225-Resolving-Visual-Studio-NET-project-output

Essentially, when using automated builds in TFS 2012, the InstallShield LE project will throw an error when building:

The "Microsoft.Build.Tasks.AssignProjectConfiguration" task could not be loaded from the assembly Microsoft.Build.Tasks.v3.5. Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Build.Tasks.v3.5' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. Confirm that the declaration is correct, that the assembly and all its dependencies are available, and that the task contains a public class that implements Microsoft.Build.Framework.ITask.

This can be fixed by changing the ToolsVersion property in the isproj file from 3.5 to 4.0

The problem I'm seeing, is that once the change is made, any other change to the project and subsequent save of the project reverts this value to 3.5

Is there anyway to default this for isproj files, or at the very least, stop it from changing what I manually set?
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello,

Try setting the default .Net framework file location by following below steps in visual studio IDE.

>Launch visual studio
>Click on "options" button on installshield limited edition tool bar
>Select .Net tab> set the .Net framework file locations as per your requirements.
>Save the settings
>Save all projects

Thanks
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos
adam_corrow
Level 3

chiranjeevi wrote:
Hello,

Try setting the default .Net framework file location by following below steps in visual studio IDE.

>Launch visual studio
>Click on "options" button on installshield limited edition tool bar
>Select .Net tab> set the .Net framework file locations as per your requirements.
>Save the settings
>Save all projects

Thanks
Chiranjeevi

Setting this to the 3.5 framework did not work. The same error is thrown. Is there any way to just have the default that is saved be 4.0 in the isproj file? Thanks

Adam
0 Kudos
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello,

Please follow below link to OverrideToolsVersion Settings:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/bb383985.aspx

Hope this helps

Thanks
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos
adam_corrow
Level 3

chiranjeevi wrote:
Hello,

Please follow below link to OverrideToolsVersion Settings:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/bb383985.aspx

Hope this helps

Thanks
Chiranjeevi

Thanks, this is helpful to know and I will see if it can be used as a workaround, but I'm still wondering if there is a reason that the ToolsVersion is overwritten to 3.5 when I manually set it to 4.0.

If I edit the isproj file in notepad, I can set the ToolsVersion to 4.0, check the file into TFS and trigger a build and it will build fine. However, if I manually change it to 4.0 in notepad, then SAVE the isproj file in VS2012, it overwrites the ToolsVersion back to 3.5. Surely there must be something controlling this? I don't want to have to check out the isproj file and continually edit it manually to get a remotely triggered build to work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!
0 Kudos