cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EricHarmon
Level 2

InstallShield Express 2008 installation with no UI

Hi,

I've been asked to create an installation that shows no UI - it just installs the application and exits. I've been able to turn off almost all dialogs, but I still get a welcome dialog and a Finished dialog.

Is there a way to turn off all dialogs, or alternately, is there a way to run the install in such a way that it doesn't display any dialogs at all?

Thanks in advance...

-Eric
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

Is it an option to run the installation from the command line and pass "silent" parameters?

If so, try either of these, depending on whether you're using a Setup.exe setup launcher:
Setup.exe /s /v"/qn" (if you have a setup launcher)
MsiExec.exe /i YourMSIFile.msi /qn (if you don't have a setup launcher)

Using either of those will run your installation without the UI.

I hope that helps.

Debbie Landers
Acresso Software
0 Kudos
Alex_W
Level 6

What I did is run the installer using the /r. This records inputs into a setup.iss text file that I then cleaned up a bit and made available to users who then can add the inputs they want to use when the installer is run. The installer is then run by the user with the /s option. The great thing about this method is that custom setup inputs can then be added to the setup.iss file and read using the function SilentReadData().
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

As an aside, what Alex_W describes is useful for InstallScript and InstallScript MSI installs, but does not apply to Basic MSI or Express installs.
0 Kudos