cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jippy_
Level 2

InstallScript version numbers

Howdy,

Just a quick question about version numbers in InstallScript projects.

Our product does not follow the aaa.bbb.cccc version number format. We've used aaaa.bb.c for many years. We haven't had any problems with this format in prior years as we used a different installer, but this year we've switched to InstallShield and it's causing us a bit of worry.

My problem comes down to the version number display in the Update dialogs and the Add/Remove product information. For example, this year our first version will be 2007.1.0. I can't enter 2007.1.0 as a version number, so I used 07.1.0. InstallShield drops the first zero and shows 7.1.0 as our product version number.

I realize the aaa.bbb.cccc format is needed by InstallShield and that's fine. I would like to know if there's a way to change the Update dialogs and Add/Remove information so it shows a version number that I define at the top of my project in the proper format of our version numbers.

Thanks,

=-Jippy
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
esiemiat
Level 9

There are two variables that represent an isntallers version in an InstallScript project. IFX_PRODUCT_VERSION, which is what the engine uses to determine what version is installed, and IFX_PRODUCT_DISPLAY_VERSION which would be the version number you would want to display to the customer. Set the later to your specialized version number in the OnBegin event and this should solve your problem.
0 Kudos
Jippy_
Level 2

Thanks for the reply.

I've added that code to my OnBegin event as such:

function OnBegin()
begin
IFX_PRODUCT_DISPLAY_VERSION = "2007.0.0";
end;

However, the Support Info dialog box in Add / Remove Programs for our product still shows 07.0.0. It's still getting that version number from the Product Properties entry.

Any other thoughts? Is there a way I can change the version number that displays in the Support Info dialog?

Thanks,

=-Jippy
0 Kudos
esiemiat
Level 9

You may need to make the following function call somewhere in your script.

RegDBSetItem(REGDB_UNINSTALL_NAME, IFX_PRODUCT_DISPLAY + " " + IFX_PRODUCT_DISPLAY_VERSION);

I have not tested this code so it may need some modifications. However, I hope it at least points you in the right direction. I ussually place code like this in the OnCustomizeUninstInfo event, but it can be placed anywhere in your script after the uninstall entry is created in the registry.
0 Kudos