cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sairen
Level 7

InstallScript Dialogs

Hello, all - I have what I am hoping is a VERY stupid question that some kind soul will be able to answer for me in about 45 seconds. I'm familiar with the Basic MSI world, and now I'm trying my hand at creating an InstallScript project.

I'm trying to add a button to an existing dialog (or maybe even create a new dialog...whooo...) and when that button is pressed, I'd like it to call some InstallScript function I've written.

I cannot find - ANYWHERE - how to customize or tell IS what to do when a button is pressed. The equivalent in MSI-land would be to go to behavior, and have it execute my Custom Action.

I'm assuming that even in InstallScript-land, we like our buttons to do things when we press them....?

It's odd - I always thought the Basic MSI help was really solid and thorough, but I'm more and more finding that the InstallScript help is really lacking...if you know of any great topics that help with customizing the UI, I'd love it.

Thanks for your help.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

The section Creating Installations > Defining the End-User Interface > Working with Dialogs > Working with Dialogs in InstallScript... is probably what you want. The topic "Using InstallScript to Implement Custom Dialogs" should give you the overall picture; to customize an existing dialog's behavior, you'll need to copy the implementation script into your project, and then add a handler to the big WaitOnDialog loop for the new button.
0 Kudos
Sairen
Level 7

Thanks, Robert. As always, your help is right on. If you can provide me one additional detail - you said that to add a new button to an existing script, I'd need to copy its implementation script into my project. Where can I find that?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

I think the script\isrt\src subdirectory of your InstallShield installation directory has the scripts you want.
0 Kudos
Sairen
Level 7

Yes - just found those. So now I have a question about the process here...the real nitty gritty. 🙂

I'm assuming these files are used by all InstallScript programs. So if I'm customizing a few of the dialogs, do I want to make a copy of the file in /src, put it in my "Script Files" folder of my new project, then edit that? Or will the project still try to link to the original .rul file?

Any best practice guidelines on this? Thanks again for the help and hand-holding.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Yes, you'll want to modify a private copy of the script file in your project, making sure to #include your private copy. (Searching these forums for "private copy project" will turn up how others have done this.)
0 Kudos