cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moinkhan
Level 5

InstallLibUtil.dll and .Net Installer 1.1/2.0

Hello All,
I am using Basic MSI project, and in Options - .Net page of my IDE, i set .Net framework 1.1 InstallLibUtil.dll to install/uninstall .net services, now I have to install a service which is coded in .Net 2.0 framework, what can be done to support both framework services using the .Net Installer class of the InstallShield 2008?

Any help is much appreciated.

thanks,
-Moin
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
moinkhan
Level 5

moinkhan wrote:
Hello All,
I am using Basic MSI project, and in Options - .Net page of my IDE, i set .Net framework 1.1 InstallLibUtil.dll to install/uninstall .net services, now I have to install a service which is coded in .Net 2.0 framework, what can be done to support both framework services using the .Net Installer class of the InstallShield 2008?

Any help is much appreciated.

thanks,
-Moin

For a test, I change the IDE -> Tools option to use .Net framework 2.0 InstallUtilLib.dll, it works with the .Net service for .Net 1.1 and .Net 2.0 service , but it do require both framework to be installed on target server, however, it fail on the target server which only has .net 1.1 and the service installation of .net 1.1, how can this to be resolved?
Its hard to believe that IS2008 has hard coded value for one framework.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I've covered this topic over and over. You don't need a custom action to install a service, MSI handles this for you.

If you were going to write a custom action, Installer class / InstallUtil would be the last pattern in the world I would suggest using. Checkout WiX DTF instead.

But again, you don't need a CA......

http://blog.deploymentengineering.com/2006/07/msi-vs-net.html
0 Kudos
moinkhan
Level 5

Christopher Painter wrote:
I've covered this topic over and over. You don't need a custom action to install a service, MSI handles this for you.

If you were going to write a custom action, Installer class / InstallUtil would be the last pattern in the world I would suggest using. Checkout WiX DTF instead.

But again, you don't need a CA......

http://blog.deploymentengineering.com/2006/07/msi-vs-net.html

Thanks Christopher for replying to my post, but in my post I didnt mention that I am using any CA to install the service, I simply trying to use IS2008 feature to install the .Net service.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

.NET Installer Class is a custom action. Build the MSI and take a look at in in direct edit or Orca and you'll see a custom action built around the Dll you mentioned.

Forget installer classes... set the component to scan .NET properties only and set Installer Class to false. Go into the component advanced settings and define your service there instead.
0 Kudos