cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fromrus
Level 3

Install a new version above previous

Good day!
Is there any option to enable installation of the new version of the .msi file without manual removing previous one.
For example,if i have installed app in the system and i'm starting a new installation of this product(next version) the process will do all the work itself(remove previous one and install new-by default,first i need to delete previous manually and only then istall new one).
Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
fromrus
Level 3

guess i need to seek about major update(and i do) but can anyone give the full step-by-step description of actions to do...
0 Kudos
fromrus
Level 3

How to make that major update????(what do i need to change?)
0 Kudos
fromrus
Level 3

yes,i made it!Topic can be closed!
0 Kudos
Videstra
Level 7

Ok - glad you found the solution - but you should also post what you did or this thread just takes up space.
Here are the steps I do:

With InstallSheild Express
In the Installation Designer go to General Information
Update the version you are installing to the new version number
Click on the PRODUCT CODE (Not the Upgrade Code) and in the help section below you will see a button: "Generate New GUID" Click on it to generate a new GUID for the PRODUCT CODE.
Do NOT generate a new Upgrade Code or you will be screwed!

Next go to Upgrade Paths and right click on Upgrade Paths at the top of the tree. Select "New upgrade Path"
Give the new upgrade path a logical name - most anything is valid here.
In the upgrade path settings the Upgrade Code from the General Information page should already be there. This is why you never want to generate a new GUID for the upgrade code.
Leave the min version at 1.0.0
Include Min Version=Yes
Max Version should be the current version you are installing (same as from the General Information section)
Include Max Version=Yes
I set Ignore Remove Failure to Yes - the others I leave the defaults.

You now have an installer that will install properly OVER any previous version of the same upgrade code.
0 Kudos
hubaozhang
Level 3

I changed my Product Code to upgrade my application using Installshield express 2010. It works fine. Is there a way to keep files from previous installation from removing during re-installation?
0 Kudos