cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wayneh
Level 4

Install/Uninstall destroying target machines - PLEASE HELP!

Ok, I posted a previous incident related to this and no one responded (by no one I mean especially Acresso)

My problem is getting very bad.
I have clients whose machines are rendered useless by my installers.
In some inexplicable cases, they are using installers built over a month ago which previously appeared to work.

I have a clean test machine (Windows XP SP2, all updates, nothing else, ghosted) and I can replicate the problem no matter what I do to change the installer.

Here's what happens:
1) My installer runs successfully, after which my application runs successfully.
2) However, upon uninstallation, near the end of the process, I get an error:
"Windows Installer Service could not be accessed..." etc.
3) The uninstall quits.
4) Now the machine has problems - the windows Search will not execute, icons are frozen on the Desktop, Network Connections disappear, and probably more that I can't easily see.
5) The only solution to fix the machine is to rebuild it again.

This is a HUGE problem.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
mberterm
Level 7

From your description, this sounds like some sort of conflict between the package and other applications (even system components).

Has anyone seen anything like this before?
From my time in Support, this was occasionally (rarely) reported. Thankfully, those turned out to be package specific issues and not a behavior endemic to InstallShield.

upon uninstallation, near the end of the process, I get an error:
"Windows Installer Service could not be accessed..." etc.

Now the machine has problems - the windows Search will not execute, icons are frozen on the Desktop, Network Connections disappear, and probably more that I can't easily see.
Are there any system files included in the package (especially those installed to the Windows and System32 folders)?

Are there any registry entries installed to system keys or other sensative areas?

It may also be useful to log the uninstallation process (use the registry method) and review it for additional details.

And too, if you like/need faster support that the community forum model, please contact Acresso Support or submit the incident directly.
0 Kudos