cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superfreak3
Level 11

Including Windows Installer Engine 4.5

Hi there,

I was wondering how the Windows Installer engine v 4.5 can be included in the bootstrapper Setup.exe. I see a place to set the MSI engine version in the Release view, but it appears to only handle to 3.0. I was wondering how v 4.5 could be included.

This got me to thinking... when creating a Custom Action, there is a checkbox to run on patch uninstall. I thought this functionality was only handled with 4.5 or later and ignored with versions < 4.5. If this is the case, I would think IS should be taking the ability to bootstrap v 4.5 into account so one can ensure patch removal Custom Actions would be handled, no?

Any help on how to include v4.5 would be greatly appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Marwan
Level 7

Windows Installer 4.5 is available as a Prerequisite from the Redistributables view.
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

Thanks for that tip.

Now further questions... I'm going to be creating a 32 bit and 64 bit installer from the same .ism as outlined in several posts out there.

I see with the WI Engine, there are 32 and 64 bit versions. I wonder how I handle that or do I just include both, which might make the Setup.exe larger? In other words, is there a way to configure a release to use the 64 bit WI Engine when the Template Summary Property is x64

I do not see a different arcitecture for the .NET Framework 4.0 Full version so I don't know that I have to worry about that in this instance.

It's also been a while since I used InstallShield (We're switching back from Wise) but how does the Redistributables view work? By checking the need for WI 4.5 for a particular feature, if lacking when Setup.exe is fired, will it prompt to install?
0 Kudos
Marwan
Level 7

You just include both since they have the proper conditions for Setup.exe to run the right one. They'll get installed before the MSI is launched.

You should also look at the Prerequisite Editor from under the Tools menu to see all the options you can confiure.
0 Kudos