cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eladef
Level 7

Include value of [ProductName] in shortcut name ?

Hi

I have basic MSI project
I need that shortcuts being created on the Desktop will contain the Product Number or Product Name
So I have set the shortcut "Display Name" property to be MyApp[ProductNumber] and MyApp[ProductName]
But the shortcut name created has the MyApp[ProductNumber] and string and not the value

Any idea how to do that ?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Unfortunately the underlying database column in the Shortcut table doesn't use the "Formatted" data type, hence the property references are not resolved. If you need to tweak the values, your best bet may be to create the necessary rows in the table as part of a custom action, or, if possible, statically modify these before build with some sort of automation.
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

I will cast a vote for putting that in the next version! (Shortcut Table to use "Formatted" data type.)
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The request you are making would have to go to Microsoft. I once heard of an email alias "msiwish" but I don't know whether it's monitored. I suppose in theory we could build up some of what I just described in an ISShortcut table, but either that has to turn into Shortcut table entries, or it would lose support for, say, advertising.

Although back to the original request in this thread, it's possible that the localized settings (Display Resource, Description Resource) might allow the desired behavior from resources that are updated as part of the application build, instead of either run-time or pre-installation-build. So that might be a better option than the ones I offered earlier.
0 Kudos