cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ToddErickson
Level 2

Inaccurate 6248 Build Warnings

We are building an installation for a rather large suite of programs and currently have 1804 build warnings! All of these are 6248 Build Warnings and most of them are inaccurate. For example here is one of the warnings:
ISDEV : warning -6248: Could not find dependent file DevExpress.Utils.v9.1, or one of its dependencies of component MyProgram.exe
I have searched our code extensively and there are no references to DevExpress.Utils.v9.1. It is possible that at one time we downloaded and experimented with this control, but we decided not to use this control and our code dose not have any references to it.
According to the KB Article at http://kb.acresso.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=Q107276&sliceId=
"This warning occurs during the build process if the dependencies that were identified via the Dependency Scanner have been moved or deleted since the initial dependency scan. The most common reason for these files being removed is users manually deleting these files."
I am guessing that these inaccurate build warnings are caused by the fact that we began working on the install using an older set of executables and DLLs.
Is there a way to "reset" the dependency scanner so that it will look at the current executables and DLLs? Or is there some other problem here.
I really like the idea of the dependency scanner, because it should help us build a complete install, however, when 80% of the build warnings are garbage, it makes the dependency scanner useless.
Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Lurean
Level 8

I have found this problem with the DevExpress stuff myself. What we found is that after removing the code that used their controls and removing the references from the project references you also have to check for any license files that were added to the project. Devexpress tends to automatically add these files to the project, it will be a .licx file in the file list. As long as that file is part of the project being built then the assembly will think it has a dependency on the Devexpress files.
0 Kudos
ToddErickson
Level 2

Thanks for the tip. I double checked all of the license files and can't find any reference to DevExpress.
It seems like InstallShield is remembering some old information.
Thanks
0 Kudos