cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chosonp
Level 2

ISNetValidateLogonName

I am not sure if this is an InstallShield defect.

I have an MSI installer created using InstallShield basic MSI project. During installation it set to display LogonInformation dlg. The dlg calls ISNetValidateLogonName to verify username and password. DOMAIN\UserName credentials are entered, everything works on Windows2003 but it fails when runs on Windows2008 server. It complains that the server is not found! And server name can not be empty. When I click on the Browse… btn to browse domain or server it pops up with message the list is empty.

I am running this installer on Domain Controler Windows20008.

Does anyone here experience this issue? What is your solution and workaround?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Tronex
Level 4

You are not alone. 😉

There are so many people having problems with that dialogs it's almost ridiculous that Acresso failed in providing support for this.

However, the solution is simple:
For browsing anything like groups or users, ISNetApi needs the servername. For the servername to be verified or browsed, it needs the ComputerBrowser service.

And guess what... the ComputerBrowser service is disabled on Windows Server 2008 by default.

In case you really want to enable it, you will need to also enable Printer and File Sharing from within the Network And Sharing Center (because the ComputerBrowser service depends on them).

Hope that helps.
Well.. your post is pretty old... but then again... people find it when searching for a solution to this. And the problem still exists...
0 Kudos