cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dknoles
Level 4

ISLE modifies the Database Folder anytime the Destination Folder is modified

In my installation package, I wrote a custom VBScript that sets desired drive/path values for Destination Folder and Database Folder before the first dialog displays. My problem is that ISLE modifies the value I set for the Database Folder (DATABASEDIR property) if the Destination Folder (INSTALLDIR property) is modified during installation.

I can see that it makes sense to make similar changes to the Database Folder if the Destination Folder is similar. In this example, if "MyLocation" is changed in the Destination Folder:

Destination Folder: C:\MyLocation\
Database Folder: C:\MyLocation\Database

It makes perfect sense to make the same change in the Database Folder:

Destination Folder: C:\MyNewLocation\
Database Folder: C:\MyNewLocation\Database

In my installation package the two folders have nothing in common but the drive letter:

Destination Folder: C:\clrrs\bin\
Database Folder: C:\UnderCover

Yet anytime any change is made to the Destination Folder a new Database Folder is presented on the Database Folder dialog that is based on the modified Destination Folder:

Destination Folder: C:\clrrs
Database Folder: C:\clrrs\Database

Is there some way to prevent ISLE from automatically making changes to the value placed into the Database Folder (DATABASEDIR property) by my custom script?
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
bharath_k_s
Level 7

Hello Dknoles,

I’m currently looking into the issue and I would update you as soon as I have further information on this.

Thanks,
Bharath
0 Kudos
bharath_k_s
Level 7

Hello Dknoles,

Could you kindly refer the below community link which explains briefly about INSTALLDIR and DATABASEDIR Property

http://community.installshield.com/archive/index.php?t-108873.html

Thanks,
Bharath
0 Kudos
dknoles
Level 4

I'm not sure what help there is for my issue in the community link you referred me to. I don't have multiple setup types. I already use a script to set desired drive/path properties. Maybe I'm missing something.

I already have a VBScript that runs at the After Initialization stage. This script looks for previous versions of my application, checks for local non-removable hard drives and sets values for both the INSTALLDIR and DATABASEDIR properties. The drive/path values that I choose and place into the INSTALLDIR and DATABASEDIR properties work exactly like I want them to EXCEPT when the user makes a change to the INSTALLDIR drive/path on the Destination Folder dialog. When that happens the drive/path value that I chose and placed into the DATABASEDIR property is replaced with a drive/path value that is based on the modified INSTALLDIR value. It is this behavior I'm trying to prevent.
0 Kudos
dknoles
Level 4

In Visual Studio 2010 on the ISLE General Information tab the DATABASEDIR had the default value of [INSTALLDIR]\Database. Once I removed [INSTALLDIR] and entered a path of my choosing the problem went away. A change to the Destination Folder during an installation no longer causes a change to the Database Folder.
0 Kudos