cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Copy ocx files without registering them

I'd like to create an installer for an app that includes several ocx files in the application path that I do not want registered. The app will load these files using reg-free com with a manifest file. I do not see any options to mark a file as "do not register". Is there any way to do this?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Alex1969
Level 4

Hello johnnyg,

johnnyg wrote:

I'd like to create an installer for an app that includes several ocx files in the application path that I do not want registered.

I do not see any options to mark a file as "do not register". Is there any way to do this?

Is this really necessary? AFAIK there is no automatically point in the installation for register the installed (to the target directory copied...) ocx components.

Please tell me if I'm wrong and correct my statement.

MfG Alex
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Alex1969 wrote:
Hello johnnyg,

Is this really necessary? AFAIK there is no automatically point in the installation for register the installed (to the target directory copied...) ocx components.

Please tell me if I'm wrong and correct my statement.

MfG Alex

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are saying. I need to install ocx files without interfering with existing installations on the machine that have older versions of the same ocx files registered. The way to do this is to use reg-free com which requires copying but not registering the ocx files. I have done several tests and Installshield always registers OCX files automatcially. Click-once deployment looked promising except it requires a .net based executable, mine is not .net based.
0 Kudos
Alex1969
Level 4

johnnyg wrote:
I'm not sure I fully understand what you are saying. I need to install ocx files without interfering with existing installations on the machine that have older versions of the same ocx files registered. The way to do this is to use reg-free com which requires copying but not registering the ocx files. I have done several tests and Installshield always registers OCX files automatcially. Click-once deployment looked promising except it requires a .net based executable, mine is not .net based.

Ok.
But you could also unregister the ocx files after installation.
Please have a look at the usage of "regsvr32.exe"

HTH Alex
0 Kudos
Johannes_John
Level 7

Hello johnnyg,

I know four posibilties to register files.

1) In the component view set the option "COM Extract at Build" to YES
2) In the file view of the component at the file itself in the Properties view: select "Self Register"
3) Extract the selfregistering values with the tool RegSpyUI.exe and give the filename (customized pathes) in the component view to "REG File To Merge at Build"
4) Make CustomActions, where the file is registered with "regsvr32.exe" and a CA with "regsvr32.exe /u"

If you don't want the installed files to be registered, do the reverse:
1) select NO
2) unselect
3) leave empty
4) don't create the CAs

I hope, that this meats your problem.
Regards
Johannes
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Alex1969 wrote:
Ok.
But you could also unregister the ocx files after installation.
Please have a look at the usage of "regsvr32.exe"

HTH Alex

That leaves the other installations broke unless I go reregister the original files again. Possible, but not fun. I'd rather install as a zip file then unzip it manually.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Johannes John wrote:
Hello johnnyg,

I know four posibilties to register files.

1) In the component view set the option "COM Extract at Build" to YES
2) In the file view of the component at the file itself in the Properties view: select "Self Register"
3) Extract the selfregistering values with the tool RegSpyUI.exe and give the filename (customized pathes) in the component view to "REG File To Merge at Build"
4) Make CustomActions, where the file is registered with "regsvr32.exe" and a CA with "regsvr32.exe /u"

If you don't want the installed files to be registered, do the reverse:
1) select NO
2) unselect
3) leave empty
4) don't create the CAs

I hope, that this meats your problem.
Regards
Johannes

I will give this a try and report back.
Thank you,
John

It works!!! Since I was not doing 2 throug 4, all I had to do was unselection "COM Extract at Build" and the OCX files were copied but not registered.
Thank you Johannes, you are my hero.
0 Kudos