cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reureu
Level 10

ISDEV error -5045 with IS 2010 Standalone Build

Hi,

We are facing a problem with IS 2010 Standalone build, when building an installscript project.

Here is the command line

IsCmdBld.exe -x -p E:\BuildArea\InstallScriptProject.ism -c COMP -r Common -b E:\BuildArea\SetupTemp\Output\MainPart -v

On some occasions, the IsCmdBld command would display the following text:

InstallShield (R)
Release Builder
Copyright (C) 2009 Acresso Software Inc.
and/or InstallShield Co. Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Build started at Jul 24 2009 03:12 AM
Building Release: Common

Creating path "E:\BuildArea\SetupTemp\Output\MainPart"
Creating path "E:\BuildArea\SetupTemp\Output\MainPart\Report Files"
Creating path "E:\BuildArea\SetupTemp\Output\MainPart\Interm"
Copying files from "\LogFiles\*.*" to "E:\BuildArea\SetupTemp\Output\MainPart\LogFiles"
ISDEV : error -5045: Could not preserve previous Build Logs
The system cannot find the path specified.

ISDEV : fatal error -5087: Stop at first error
Creating path "E:\BuildArea\SetupTemp\Output\MainPart\Log Files"
Common - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Build finished at Jul 24 2009 03:12 AM

I understand that IsCmdBld normally creates a "Log Files" folder in the specified output folder, resulting in "E:\BuildArea\SetupTemp\Output\MainPart\Log Files"

What I don't understand is:
[LIST=1]
  • Why does it try to copy *.* from \Logfiles\? I don't think it makes sense, as IsCmdBld does not normally create any log file in \Logfiles\.
  • But let's assume it makes sense, then why is the destination folder "E:\BuildArea\SetupTemp\Output\MainPart\LogFiles", instead of "E:\BuildArea\SetupTemp\Output\MainPart\Log Files"?
  • Why does it work the majority of the time, and only occurs on occasion?

Just some extra information:

Now some questions:

• Is that a bug with IsCmdBld?
    • Could it be due to some old debug code implemented in IsCmdBld to create some extra debug information?
    • Is there any patch available?

Regards
  • Labels (1)
    0 Kudos
    (3) Replies
    Reureu
    Level 10

Just an update about this issue:
    I can reproduce it 100% of the time if I create a \Logfiles folder at the root level of the drive where I build the project, and create a text file in this folder.

So am I right in thinking that IsCmdBld tries to keep the existing log files in "E:\BuildArea\SetupTemp\Output\MainPart\Log Files" by copying them to \Logfiles while it builds the setup?

So the sequence seems to be:
    [LIST=1]
  • Copy the files from E:\BuildArea\SetupTemp\Output\MainPart\Log Files to \Logfiles
  • Clear the output folder
  • Build the setup
  • Copy the previous logfiles from \Logfiles to their original path.

But why does IsCmdBld try to copy the previous log files back to
    "E:\BuildArea\SetupTemp\Output\MainPart\LogFiles" instead of "E:\BuildArea\SetupTemp\Output\MainPart\Log Files"?

Regards
  • 0 Kudos
    Reureu
    Level 10

Just realized that the problem can be reproduced with Installshield 2010 IDE, not just with the Standalone Build.
    0 Kudos
    MichaelU
    Level 12 Flexeran
    Level 12 Flexeran

Thanks for the report. I can see how this problem occurs, and expect we can fix it. That said, it looks like it's been around for long time, so it's interesting that it would just start causing problems recently.

Anyway, I've reported this under IOC-000082530 so we can track it until it's fixed.
    0 Kudos